The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 AM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Breathable waders in $85 - $125 range?

I hesitate to ask but I am hoping that some of you will offer suggestions on breathable stocking foot waders in the $85-$125 range. I've got two pair to buy (one for me and one for my wife) and funds are really tight.

We are new to fly fishing and I just can't afford the $200+ waders for each of us. Having said that, I know you get what you pay for but she may fish 10-15 days a year and me 25-30 days a year.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Breathable waders in $85 - $125 range?

LL Bean has a model that gets fairly rave reviews that are in that range. Just take good care of them and be careful around barbed-wire, brambles and such, and they should do just fine for a few years.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 AM

Thanks, Cliff. I'll check out the LL Bean website.

I have found a pair of Patagonia women's waders (Watermaster Light) that sell for $250 and are on sale for $125 right now. I just don't know enough about Patagonia waders.

So many choices.....

Scott
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Patagonia is pretty good stuff from what I hear. I bought me, my wife, and my son all waders at Cabela's called Dry-plus for around 99 bucks we have had them over 2 years now and they still work great.
Bear
Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I think it'd be better to buy waders on sale(simms are the best according to me)than cheap ones.Have a look on e bay there are great deals sometimes.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Great suggestions, fellas. Thank you for taking the time to respond and offer your opinions and suggestions!!

Scott
Old 05-07-2009, 07:07 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

You may want to take a look here, there are usually some fairly decent deals -

Search: waders at Sierra Trading Post

Their stock tends to vary from week to week.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Definitrly think about LL Bean. The warranty on their struff is great & it's all quality stuff........
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 PM

I wound up buying the Patagonia's for my wife this evening. At $125, for a $250 pair of waders, including free shipping and a free wader bag, it was just too good to pass up!!

Now it is time to concentrate on mine!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:25 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Quality has gone up on the lower priced waders in recent years. And most tackle companies sell them now. I have had the cabelas for 3 years now and with a minimum of care, they are still in good shape. Whatever you buy, go with the best you can afford and the best return/warranty offered. BTW, the patagonias are an excellent choice.

Marc.