The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Net to vest connection.

I have a net but I've never used it. In any event I've seen retractable cords, is that the only way to attach a net to the back of a vest? Are there other methods?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Net to vest connection.

Hi Red Owl,

I like the magnet type of net holder. Orvis sells one and others are out there. Google magnetic fishing net / landing net holder and see what you come up with then go find one so you can handle it and ask the shop person how to hook it up.

Hey, I just took a look and remembered something. The illustration shown on the Orvis ad shows the net hooked up to the back D ring on your vest by the handle. I use a small wire tie to attach the magnet to the middle of the bow of my net and that way the handle is sticking down when the net is hooked to the back of your vest / jacket.

This serves two purposes; first the handle is right behind you so you can easily reach back and snatch it at about belt level. Secondly it keeps your net bag mounted up between your shoulder blades and not hanging down behind you where it will get snagged on every bush you pass by.

Smarter than I look huh?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I seldom use a net but sometimes this one(with a different net for this one is harmful for fish)it's very easy to carry on your belt ,you can put fish up to 55 cm in it,but if the stream is too strong it may fold...Click the image to open in full size. have a look at my photos in the members gallery you'll see mine...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I agree with Ard. The Orvis magnet that I have has a coiled cord with it. When you break the two magnet halves one stays on your D ring and the other on the cord/net. You can manuver your net an arms length + on the cord. It's not going to get away from you. Pretty good set up IMO.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I didn't explain that very well. This one (link below).
http://www.orvis.com/store/productch...id=318T&bhcp=1
Old 05-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I have used the magnetic net holders since they came on the market. I have never used anything better. They make a great gift for your fishing partner.

I prefer to hook the bottom of the handle to the magnet rather than the net end. With the magnet on the net end you are constantly dipping it in the water or even into sand once in a while. It just seems better to me with the magnet on the handle of the net.

Frank

Magnetic Net Holder
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Thanks