The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 05:41 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: float tube!?

i guess that rules out that one, thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

and i checked out the cumberland on sams club and indeed it is the same. so 160$ for the cumberland vs the 265$ for the fish cat 4 deluxe.... decisions....
Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Not trying to sell you either way, but, take a good look at the measuring net/work table space on the fish cat v the cumberland. Some people like the elevated net, some don't. I don't, and my buddy doesn't.

d
Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

Which one is of better quality? I like e fish cat b/c of the 5yr warrenty. But the low Price in the Cumberland is attractive.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Quality seems to be similar between the two. I will say the customer service for the fish cat was excellent, my buddy has the fish cat, he had two issues, one was a leak and the other was the styrofoam seat had shrunk down and bowed. He called the compan and they sent him new replacements for both. He had them in 3 days. That is excellent service. I have had similar customer service with cabelas, on the spot replacement of a broken rod, but I have not had to deal with them on any float tube issues or non-cabelas named products. My decisions to put the cumberland on my list as my next float tube purchase came from talking to fly fisherman who had one, including some who work at cabelas. Interesting enough, 3 of the cabelas fly fishing shop staff (out of the 5 I know) have the cumberland, the other two have fish cats.

d
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

It is a great design and probably sixes as far as material and quality. The only difference I can see that I prefer, the space behind the seat. I like bigger, they feel more stable to me specially on big waters. If they both fold up small and weigh about the same, then like I said, I would go with the one that has more storage. I had a SFC once, loved the space behind the seat. I fact, I know some that actually licensed them and pack a battery back there and an electric motor off the back.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM

is the fish cat deluxe more stable an larger than the cumberland?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 AM

The cumberland is slightly larger than the deluxe, weighs 18 lbs vice 14lbs for the deluxe, and is rated at 350 lbs vice 250 for the deluxe. The fat cat is rated for 300 lbs but only weighs 12 lbs. Not sure on the deluxe model if there are velcro straps to hold a rod or not, but the cumberland has a horizontal rod holder.

Best thing to do if you can't decide is go to cabelas, they sell both, and take a look at both side by side if you can.

d

d
Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM

theres not a cabelas anywhere near me, so the fish cat deluxe is all ive seen at bass pro. the cumberland is for sale at sams for 160 bucks and thats quite attractive. the only thin that im not gung-ho about on the cumberland is the foam seat thinggy.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 PM

I think of it as a attached PFD, even if you lose air, the foam will still float.

d
Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm going to include your Waterskeeter post with this one.

They are about out of business, if not, it won't be long. The website hasn't been upgraded since 2008. I'd stay away from WS.

Exactly how much scratch do you have to spend? How much do you want to spend? How much are you willing to spend to sit your butt on the water? If you plan on spending a good deal of time on the water, I suggest you save as much as you can and buy the best you can.
You'll have less problems with leaks- either from the bladder or the valves. The cheaper floats are more prone to temperature changes (loosing air, blowing out seams) they have thinner outer covers that are usually sewn with thread, cheaper valves, more places to get your line caught on.
You've been given a lot of good advise here from people who have been there and done that. Listen to the majority, and you won't go through the headaches some have experienced with inferior gear. There will be some that will tell you they love their $100 tube, but thats natural because that's all they have and can't afford anything else. If you've never tubed or been on a 'toon, then another couple of months of saving won't hurt to get a better tube or kickboat. You won't regret it.