The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Leyther is on a distinguished road
Default Another wader and wading boot question

Just wanted to start off by saying that you guys have a wonderful and very informative forum-- all credit to you.

As for myself, I am a complete novice to fly fishing. I used to do a lot of rod and pole fishing on the canal banks and small ponds when I lived in England but since moving to Denver a couple of years ago my father-in-law has introduced me to fly-fishing. He purchased me my first Orvis fly-rod for Christmas and now I am in the market for a pair of waders and wading boots.

My first idea was to purchase both a pair of Simms' chest waders (Freestone Stockingfoots) and the Orvis hip waders. This way I could add more versatility to my gear and when fishing small rivers I didn't have to lug around heavy waders. However after reading this forum for a while it became evident that neoprene waders, which I believe the Simms Freestone are, would make for a very uncomfortable summer fishing season, which is the time that I plan to fish.

Thus my 2nd idea was to scrap the hip waders and instead purchase a better pair of chest waders and that is when I came across the Simms G3 Guide Convertible Wader for $380, which is only an extra 30 bucks than the combined price of the original chest and hip waders.

So my question is this, are the G3 Convertible's an adequate replacement for the hip-waders-- on the face of it, it appears that these are both pair of waders in one and of much better quality-- is my reasoning over this issue correct or am I missing something and if I am, can any of you offer another solution or suggestion to consider?

My 2nd question is regarding boots, now I know that this is all very subjective and dependent upon the right fit for the foot and for the wader but with that aside, can anyone offer some suggestions for a durable wading boot that is also suitable for hiking/backpacking in a good few miles?

Thank you in advance for any help offered.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:22 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another wader and wading boot question

to allow us to make a better decision on your waders you'll have to give us a little bit more information. Can you please tell us were you live, what kind of water you'll be fishing and what you are fishing for.

If your mostly fishing in the summer then you maybe wont even need waders, you can just walk right in.

For me you can beat a good pair of breathable stockingfoot waders.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have both hippies and chest waders. It really depends on the conditions. I bought the Orvis Endura's because I thought they would be the best quality at the best price (I don't get to hit the water as much as I want to).

As far as boots go, I got a pair for about $35 shipped with felt soles. If I had it to do over again, I would buy a new pair with the sticky rubber soles and studs as these don't bring along any "friends" from one watershed to another. I may just still do that....

Yeah, and a big second on the breathable stocking foots. Get the boots a size or two bigger...depending on when you plan to use them. I like to be shod well when outdoors...call me a tenderfoot.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Right now you can get Orvis Clearwater waders (last years model, which I own and like alot) on their website under sales for 70 bucks. That is a STEAL!!! If you are looking for a good pair of budget waders, those are the ones.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

BTW....the Orivs Clearwaters convert very nicely to pants if you are looking to shed an upper body layer.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

if you got that from this forum, its "members" need to be spanked. stop, go back, the simms freestones are not neoprene. i don't think any of simms waders are neoprene (at least what i see available to the US market).

sigh...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I just bought a pair of Orvis Silver Label Wading Pants for $199.00. Like em alot!! I have not bought chest waders in 20 yrs. I never wade in that deep so I don't need them. Even when I owned chest waders I never waded above my waist so I consider them to be an unnecessary expense and hassle. But that is probably just me!! LOL

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-14-2009, 11:14 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Go with the G3's you won't regret it. They are the best pair of waders if have purchased.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough

I live in Michigan and fish in winter days that are below freezing and summer days above 90 degrees and use my breathables for all conditions. I find that by layering with fleece pants and long johns I can wear my breathables any time of year. Just my two cents!
http://dryflywaters.com/
Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Leyther is on a distinguished road

This is just a short update to my situation-- I opted against purchasing the G3's, mainly because I couldn't justify spending close to 400 bucks just on a pair of waders. I also decided not buy thigh-waders since I had no real need for them at the moment and if I wanted to shed that top part, then most chest-highs would permit me to so easy enough.

Instead I concluded that I would be better off spending just a *little* extra on both the waders and boots and thus I bought the Simms' Headwater (Gore-Tex) Stockingfoots and the Simms' Rivershed Vibram Streamtread boot for a total of $450 bucks.

Took them out on the river last Saturday and they were perfect with some Under Armor, thermals and sweatpants; I couldn't be happier with the choice, but I will see how they fair next month when fishing/hiking in the back-country. Until then, they will be getting a lot of use locally.

Thank you to all who responded.