The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default Waterproof Digital Camera

I'm shopping around for a good waterproof digital camera. I need something that can hold up in the outdoors as well as take good everyday pics. I'd also like a camera that takes good video. Maybe even in HD. I'm planning on making a hat camcorder with it for when I go fishing as well to shoot some underwater pics/video. All for under $200 brand new. What is everyone else out there using? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Waterproof Digital Camera

This thread might help:

waterproof digital camera

(hopefully I did that right)
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just received the new Pentax Optio W90 for Christmas - waterproof to 20 ft., drop-proof, freeze-proof, dust-proof. 12.1 mp, 5x zoom, 720 HD movie capabilities. If you go to thefind.com you can type in the camera name and model and then compare prices to find the best deal. Yesterday I saw it for $188.

My son owns the Pentax Optio WS80 (not the W80). 10.1 mp, 5x zoom, waterproof to 9 ft., drop-proof, freeze-proof, dust-proof. Takes great pics and movies. I saw it at thefind.com yesterday for $115.

Here are two examples from the WS80:
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Good luck in your search and let us all know what you decide.

Kelly.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:11 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great information. It is very much appreciated. I think I'm leaning toward the Pentax Optio WS80 right now. Those pics you posted kglissmeyer1 look pretty darn good.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM

btlguide is on a distinguished road

I bought the Fuji XP10 before my last AK season and loved it. Waterproof and the whole works. Shoots some nice HD video as well, and definitely in your price range.

FinePix XP10 / XP11 | Fujifilm Global
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 PM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

I'm a Canon guy myself and have the Powershot D10. It's held up pretty well so far. I just stick it in my pocket and go. Takes great pictures too. Shock proof and water proof to 30 feet, although I've only had it 8 feet deep in the pool.

-Mack
Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 PM

sant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_s View Post
I'm a Canon guy myself and have the Powershot D10. It's held up pretty well so far. I just stick it in my pocket and go. Takes great pictures too. Shock proof and water proof to 30 feet, although I've only had it 8 feet deep in the pool.

-Mack
Rightly said Cannon but Nikon also has good variety , try testfreaks might gain some more info from there. Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one to stay away from; guys 'review' is brutal!
Vivitar Vivicam VT026BK 10.1MP Waterproof Digital Camera - Black : Target
Old 03-05-2011, 06:07 PM

pete1229 is on a distinguished road

Olympus make some pretty sweet waterproof cameras the TG-310 sells for around $200.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've had a Pentax W60 for several years and have been very pleased with it. My driving concerns when looking for a waterproof camera was its optical (not digital) zoom length, plus its weight and "footprint". Those have all been great, but what's really surprised me was the quality of its pictures. They have been far better than I expected a waterproof, shockproof, temperature-proof, small-sized camera could produce.