The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Let's Talk Vests

While I know there are some who have a preference towards the newer chest packs, but I use a vest for the most part.

I am curious as to some of the modifications members have made to the vests they use. Also what might be on thier wish list for features.

Personally I am content with my vest, but it could be so much better.

I have added an orange para cord "jerk line" to the upper back D ring. The loop is about 8 inches in diameter and has worked well for me to throw the vest over my should to carry without wearing it or hanging it from some branches when I get tired of wearing it after a long or hot day. The other factor is that in theory someone could drag me out of the water if necessary.

Being an Alaskan where carrying a side arm is a necessity I have rigged a holster for a large frame revolver to hang down, but this is an overall clunky set up and I would like for this to be somehow integrated into the original design.

If I could have a perfect vest it would be of manageable weight, and include a removable hood, internal inflation system, large revolver holster, and be made of a waterproof material like goretex and still be somewhat affordable.
Throw in a totally secure water proof pocket that can contain my license/tags and a tide book and I would pay a reasonable amount for the effort, it is a shame those with similar features costs hundreds of dollars and most often because they have a brand name sewn into the product that automatically warrants a certain hefty price tag.

Anyone else have thier dream vest that simply isnt on the market or is stupidly outpriced to make it worth while?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Let's Talk Vests

I haven't done it yet but what I'd like is sort of an integral backpack for a lunch, etc. Right now I have a box with a shoulder strap that I'll put on the bank when I get where I want- lunch, small flask of water, camera, extra flies) I think all that could go into a vest.
There is another item called a snorkel vest that last time I checked was about $30 and had a co2 dispenser- a "Mae West" deal. If you need a life jacket you pull the plug and it inflates. On some streams there are steep drop offs. probably would be a good idea.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:24 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I have been looking at this float vest.

Hodgman Fly And Floatation Inflatable Vest, Marine, Hodgman at Sportsman's Guide

Using a nylon shoulder holster over the waders and under the vest works good for me. Until I have to take a leak.
A vest something like the tactical vests with a built in holster on the outside would be nice. Though it would take away some storage pockets.
A large frame revolver in the vest I think would need some support built into the vest because of the weight. I wonder how lop sided the vest would be with a loaded .44 or .45 hanging on one side.
Not sure. Think the shoulder holster might be more comfortable.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I haven't done it yet but what I'd like is sort of an integral backpack for a lunch, etc. Right now I have a box with a shoulder strap that I'll put on the bank when I get where I want- lunch, small flask of water, camera, extra flies) I think all that could go into a vest.
There is another item called a snorkel vest that last time I checked was about $30 and had a co2 dispenser- a "Mae West" deal. If you need a life jacket you pull the plug and it inflates. On some streams there are steep drop offs. probably would be a good idea.
There are a few companies that offer an integral backpack. Allen is one that is active on this site, there are others out there as well. The concept is good, I havent held one...but it sounds like it is compatible with a camelback type bladder and surely you can stuff some food into the backpack for your purposes.

I have seen a few of the CO2 type offers and that might be the best I can hope for at this point, but it would be preferable that the inflation is built in, assuming the weight can be reasonable. I would be willing to trade some pocket space for built in floatation.

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentrout View Post
I have been looking at this float vest.
Using a nylon shoulder holster over the waders and under the vest works good for me. Until I have to take a leak.
A vest something like the tactical vests with a built in holster on the outside would be nice. Though it would take away some storage pockets.
A large frame revolver in the vest I think would need some support built into the vest because of the weight. I wonder how lop sided the vest would be with a loaded .44 or .45 hanging on one side.
Not sure. Think the shoulder holster might be more comfortable.
I have seen this vest before and it isnt quite what I am looking for. The inflation properties take away from function in my opinion.

I have tried a few different side arm holster set ups. A galco jackass type shoulder holster which works alright. A drop down hip type that hangs from my vest which is clunky and not ideal. Also a chest pack holster as well as simply taking the revolver and accomodating into one of the bigger accessible pockets.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM

I suppose if the floatation was on the back it wouldn't obstruct one too much although it might get hot in warm weather. Has anyone ever stumbled into deep water over their head? I know you are supposed to bend your knees up to trap air and I always wear a waist belt.
On the 44 Mag. I read bear spray is supposed to be more effective- not sure however if I'd necessarily trade in my S&W29.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I suppose if the floatation was on the back it wouldn't obstruct one too much although it might get hot in warm weather. Has anyone ever stumbled into deep water over their head? I know you are supposed to bend your knees up to trap air and I always wear a waist belt.
On the 44 Mag. I read bear spray is supposed to be more effective- not sure however if I'd necessarily trade in my S&W29.
Yeah I dont disagree with the backside floatation but it is still important to have some up front otherwise it is more likely to push you face down in the water and that is a bad thing.

I dont carry a .44, picked up the 460 cannon and the bear spray vs bullets is an ongoing one that could have pages of discussion. I have seen both in action, and if there comes a time when the bear wont scatter with spray you are in serious trouble. The other thing is that when I shoot upwind my bullet wont come back like spray has.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 AM

Yeah, I know the spray is supposed to work but there's just something more comfortable about a 44 mag or the like.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

My vest is pretty cheap and way too full. I can't imagine how heavy and uncomfortable it would be with the pistol added in. I'm leaning toward a shoulder holster myself.
The back storage in my vest would be better if the big pocket was zip-expandable. I tried to stuff a fleece jacket in it the other day and it made me look like Quasimodo. I don't really care how it looks but it made the vest too tight and uncomfortable.
Another annoying "feature" is that the bottoms of the upper pockets catch in the zippers of the lower pockets. I'm still trying to fiure out how to fix it.
One mod I've done to the vest is to move my (also cheap) zinger inside the vest with the end running outside through a small hole I punched it the vest.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My three vests all have added D rings on the bottom hem where I can attach anything from a stringer to a wading staff to a fish grip

The orange thing in the lower picture is one of these

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.