The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: inexpensive waders

Not wanting to get into another war on what is the best wader, or if inexpensive waders are worth it. I will just say, I have owned <$100 waders, they work, they lasted a season or two before leaks started developing. I now own a pair of $300 waders, I had to save up for them, they don't leak, they can handle going through bushes, crawling on you knees when needed, etc.

Nothing wrong with cheap waders as long as you understand what you are getting into, and that is what you need. If you are looking for waders that are going to last 3 to 5 years, then the inexpensive ones are not generally the answer.

Having said that, I know of people that have bought $69 hodgeman or cabela neoprene waders and used them for several seasons, not the latest and greatest material, they get hot in the summer, but, they lasted. Might be an option if you fish somewhere that allows for wet wading in the summer, and you really only need waders for winter fishing.

Dave
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

Would 3mm neoprenes be okay in 60 degree weather? With water in the 50's at most? I live in Ohio so neoprenes would b a benefit for the winter fishing I do.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I have the LL bean Flyweights, bought them about two years ago. I originally bought them just for tubing (I thought they wouldn't stand up to bushwhacking/crawling over lava rocks), but they have proved to be unreasonably tough. Not one leak or any other problem in two years, and I have not been kind to them. I have, in fact, crawled over lava rocks several times, grabbed at by barbed wire, fallen on my knees twice at the Ferry, etc., and somehow I haven't sprung a leak.

However, I'm not taking anymore chances, so this year the Flyweights will only be for tubing, and either I'll get LL bean Emergers, or a set of Simm's my buddy is thinking of letting go to me.

I thought you originally posted that these waders would be for tubing/tooning, which is why I suggested the Flyweights; I believe they are nearly perfect for the purpose and you're not blowing serious money. If these are to be your only set of waders and you're going to take them in harm's way, spend a bit more and get something designed for the purpose. Something with reinforced knees/seat, etc.

And Neoprene is going to be pretty warm under your stated conditions; I probably wouldn't go that route. Sweating in neoprene is not fun.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

fyi.. I'm releasing a 3 layer wader tomorrow in my newsletter.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

I'll be sure to check those out !
Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

to everyone that suggested the llbean waders i would like to say thank you for the advice and it appears that the price really can't be beaten for breathables

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'