The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

View Poll Results: So you where sunglasses while you fish?
Sometimes 14 13.08%
Always 88 82.24%
Never 5 4.67%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sunglasses while fishing...

I have Oakley Half Jacket XLJ Polarized witha shallow blue tint...They are simply stunning to fish with, It is amazing how much difference they can make.

Oakley Polarized HALF JACKET XLJ Fishing Sunglasses available online at Oakley.com
Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I always wear sunglasses when fishing, not only for their polarizing effect which Frank discusses and for their protective effect against the sun's rays, but first and foremost for the reason Biggie mentions - protection against errantly-cast flies. I don't care how good a fly-caster you are, there's always that one bad cast - due to a gust of wind, whatever - that'll put your eye out. And you never know if a wild man is casting behind you in your space.

Although I have Smith Action Optics and Orvis sunglasses which I prefer for driving, my favorite fly-fishing sunglasses are Hobie Wind & Sea, which come with interchangeable lenses. I tend to use the Grey lenses at mid-day, but for most of my fly-fishing, which are tailwaters primarily in the Rockies, I change to the Copper-colored lens which for me seem to show the trout up better in stream situations.

I carry my sunglasses in a novel case which doubles (triples?) as a retainer which also floats, made by Marsoops [image below]. The floating models are primarily made of Neoprene (the non-floaters are made of a thinner more compact material for situations without water around to drop them in). When the glasses are in the case, it attaches to whatever with a clip. When you put the glasses on, the case converts to a retainer so that you don't have to be constantly putting them away when you're switching them on and off. And if you drop your glasses in the water, they float. All this for hardly more than the price of a pair of Croakies . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marsoops Floating Eyeglass Retainer & Case with Clip.jpg (20.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Good point tp all about the eye protection, maybe I ought o start wearing EARMUFFS HAHAHAHAHAHA
Only peirced my once last year, been doing this for YEARS and after 6-8 hours of casting my shoulders and arms start hurting and my casting gos to hell in a handbasket
Bear
Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I always wear sunglasses while fishing, just to many near misses over the years to take the chance. As others have said, there will always be that one errant cast. Currently I'm using a pair of Smith polarized glasses in a copper/brown color.

Larry
Old 05-25-2009, 01:48 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

I always wear sunglasses and they usually start with Maui and end with Jim.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. I wear prescription glasses, so I always have polarized sunglasses glasses on during daylight, and my prescription glasses if it's night, along with a baseball cap.

Since i wear prescriptions, I can't get curved wraparound shades, but wear a pair of Action Optics Mariposa's with prescription ground lenses and add removable side shields (like on glacier glasses) if it's really bright (flats etc). I like a brown tint since it seems to provide the most contrast. With the side shields it really helps vision--- but you end up looking like a raccoon.

A good pair of polarized glasses is vital for seeing fish and for eye protection from flying hooks--- but also to prevent eye damage (like cataracts) from UV light. I had cataracts in both eyes in my forties, and it seems like the sun may have been a significant factor based on feedback from the Doc since I spent a lot of my time on, in, or near the water in strong sunlight.

mark
Old 05-25-2009, 02:38 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Yup. I wear prescription glasses, so I always have polarized sunglasses glasses on during daylight, and my prescription glasses if it's night, along with a baseball cap.

Since i wear prescriptions, I can't get curved wraparound shades, but wear a pair of Action Optics Mariposa's with prescription ground lenses and add removable side shields (like on glacier glasses) if it's really bright (flats etc). I like a brown tint since it seems to provide the most contrast. With the side shields it really helps vision--- but you end up looking like a raccoon.

A good pair of polarized glasses is vital for seeing fish and for eye protection from flying hooks--- but also to prevent eye damage (like cataracts) from UV light. I had cataracts in both eyes in my forties, and it seems like the sun may have been a significant factor based on feedback from the Doc since I spent a lot of my time on, in, or near the water in strong sunlight.

mark
Mark,
Check out the Serengeti line, mine are pretty wrap around, and the Cacoons I was talking about are also nice
Bear
Old 05-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post

mark
I recently got a prescription pair of these with the tortoise frames and they do pretty good job of providing the benefits of a wrap sunglass- Nautica Drifter Polarized Sunglasses, Eyewear, Glasses, Frames

Yes folks, sunglasses are almost always necessary to see fish as well as possible, and always wise to wear for eye protection from that hook flying by your head at 80+ MPH. The safety glasses from Lowes or HD for $10 will do just fine once its dark.

Make sure your kids are wearing glasses as well once you get them started. There's no such thing as "baby eyes" that fall out and get replaced.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:56 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

This video didn't load in my first post but I think it is important to see what not wearing glasses can cause! Not for the Squeamish!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MluccXl8Ykw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MluccXl8Ykw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Old 05-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
I always wear sunglasses and they usually start with Maui and end with Jim.
I'm an MJ fan too. One pair for fishing, one for driving.

Sep