The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 PM

DBJ1000 is on a distinguished road
Default Quick waders question-- looking for some input.

My combined budget for waders and wading boots is $400 and thus I am having an internal debate about what to opt for. For waders I am considering either Simms' Freestone Stockingfoot (2009 model) which are $200 or Simms' Headwater Stockingfoot for $300.

I believe that the only real difference between these is that the latter is made with Gortex and the former with the QuadraLam Technology. If I do opt for the more expensive Headwater waders then I am looking to purchase either the L2 or Freestone wading boot which unfortunately will be the felt model. If I instead go with the Freestone waders then my choice of boots widens to either the Simms Guide Wading Boot studded or the Simms Rivershed Streamtread (Vibram) both are $180 in my local store. My third choice would be the Streamtread Freestone boots.

My query is: what is the advantage of Gortex waders and do you believe that this is worth the extra hundred bucks and the sacrifice of "better" wading boots?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Quick waders question-- looking for some input.

Gore-tex breathes the best underwater, and the membrane will not dissolve when contacted with DEET, Gasoline, or similar solvents. Gasoline may not be a concern, but if there's any chance you'll go to Alaska, you'll quite likely be using some DEET.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi DBJ1000,

The Simm's Gortex are the best on the market. They pioneered the concept. I would buy the Simm's Gortex even if I had to get a lower cost boot.

Frank
Old 05-31-2009, 01:16 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Frank 100%