The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM

kilted flyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: anyone build your own fly boxes?

To solve the problem of them fitting in your pocket, you can use the small first aid box from j&j. Pack them with a few of each fly, then put in front pocket. I use a small camel back as my tackle bag so I can stay hydrated in the Texas heat. Problem was, flies in the back. Then I saw the first aid kit. Problem solved
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I built another this weekend I figured out that if i set my raxor knife just deep enough to only cut one layer of foam, I can just push the flies in backwards and it holds them in place much better then trying to hook them into the foam, just like the Cliff's boxes. I also found out I need to tie more flies.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 PM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted flyer View Post
To solve the problem of them fitting in your pocket, you can use the small first aid box from j&j. Pack them with a few of each fly, then put in front pocket. I use a small camel back as my tackle bag so I can stay hydrated in the Texas heat. Problem was, flies in the back. Then I saw the first aid kit. Problem solved
What is j&j?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM

kilted flyer is on a distinguished road

Johnson and Johnson. Small enough for the pocket, but not to deep. You can normally find them at Walmart for around a dollar or two. It's a win win. First aid and fly box.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

I will add a vote for the Altiods Tin.
I cut and add foam to the lid and the bottom. What I have always done is then spray paint the tin box grey and label the lid with a stream name or type of fly inside. So if I am going to stream X, I pack my fly boxes and grab the grey box or boxes with the label of stream X. I know inside are the favorites for that stream. I have a tin labeled small poppers and one for Caddis, etc...