The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 PM

smtippin is on a distinguished road
Question Which Waders: $200 budget

Turns out my 12 month daughter old eats as much as I do and finances are tight. Which waders are the best for my budget of $200?

Locally, I can get Simms (Blackfoot or Freestone) or 2008 Orvis (Silver Label or Endura). Of course the internet is handy and Cabela's isn't too far away for other options, but I default to support local business when possible. I should add that I wet-wade whenever possible but I'm nestled in the Big Horn mountains and the water can be quite chilly above mid-thigh.

What are your thoughts?
s
Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which Waders: $200 budget

Do you consider Sierra Trading Post a local business? If so, I suggest perusing their website. They have several different options all coming under $200.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
Do you consider Sierra Trading Post a local business? If so, I suggest perusing their website. They have several different options all coming under $200.
Yeah, I'll keep them in mind, but I'm average sized so any of their selection is pretyy limited for me.
s
Old 06-03-2009, 01:11 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I just purchased a pair of Orvis Silver Label waist highs for $199.00. I've only fished em a couple of times but I'm loving them for sure. Afraid with tax they'll run over your budget a few bucks. If your looking for chest waders I can't be of help. Have not bought any in 20yrs and have not worn those in 18yrs.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

The Orvis Enduras are pretty good.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtippin View Post
Turns out my 12 month daughter old eats as much as I do and finances are tight.
s
As far as this goes, I feel ya. My oldest daughter ate like a matchstick house on fire. What we did was take her off of formual (whatever brand you are on) and started giving her powdered milk with some dry baby cereal in it. Powdered milk is way cheaper and you can make gallons of it ahead of time.

Just sayin....
Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
As far as this goes, I feel ya. My oldest daughter ate like a matchstick house on fire. What we did was take her off of formual (whatever brand you are on) and started giving her powdered milk with some dry baby cereal in it. Powdered milk is way cheaper and you can make gallons of it ahead of time.

Just sayin....
I like your analogy of the matchstick house on fire. She wouldn't take a bottle and we've breastfed exclusively. Now that she is eating solids, we make our own baby food and share from our meals. We're also using cloth diapers, so we've cut costs wherever we can. We0're definitely looking into dry cereals and more grains. She loves cream of wheat in Vitamin D milk and will eat all my cereal in the morning if I'm not careful.

s
Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post

Just sayin....
Ya'all try haveing an 18 yo old son THAT boy can eat for sure, I call him the locusts. lol
Bear
Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Turns out my 12 month daughter old eats as much as I do and finances are tight. Which waders are the best for my budget of $200?

Locally, I can get Simms (Blackfoot or Freestone) or 2008 Orvis (Silver Label or Endura). Of course the internet is handy and Cabela's isn't too far away for other options, but I default to support local business when possible. I should add that I wet-wade whenever possible but I'm nestled in the Big Horn mountains and the water can be quite chilly above mid-thigh.

What are your thoughts?
s
I agree with the local business thing, but if you need boots also look at the Cabela's waders that are 119.99, dry plus, the wife and son and I all have wore them for a couple years now and like them really well.
Bear
Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I like your analogy of the matchstick house on fire. She wouldn't take a bottle and we've breastfed exclusively. Now that she is eating solids, we make our own baby food and share from our meals. We're also using cloth diapers, so we've cut costs wherever we can. We0're definitely looking into dry cereals and more grains. She loves cream of wheat in Vitamin D milk and will eat all my cereal in the morning if I'm not careful.

s
I got ya. We used to make alot of baby food. Especially carrots, sweet potatoes and such. You can get five or six jars out of a good sized sweet potato. Takes work, tho.

Bear:
I feel ya there, too. I have four (4) kids. The oldest is 15. I go through 6-8 gallons of milk A WEEK. It's like cooking for a small army.

When my oldest daughter was about a year, she could take down an 8oz. bottle in no time. My wife used to work at night, so I would be home in the evening and have to feed them. I took an 8 oz bottle out of the fridge, warmed it a bit then handed it to her in her high chair. I turned around, washed a dish, dried it, then turned back around to make sure everything was going OK, and it was gone. I was floored.