The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Landing Net Recommendations

Hi michaeln,

How long has it been since you contacted Brodin? I have a net that I bought back in the late 80's. One corner delaminated slightly and they fixed it with no problem after I had it for several years. You might try calling them at 800-336-8738.

From the picture it looks like a knot or other flaw in the wood. I think they use steam to bend the wood so a burn is not likely. Heat is used to dry the wood.

Frank
Old 09-12-2009, 03:15 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi michaeln,

How long has it been since you contacted Brodin?
10 days since I contacted them, less since Riverbum has said twice they would push the issue with Brodin.

Quote:
I have a net that I bought back in the late 80's. One corner delaminated slightly and they fixed it with no problem after I had it for several years.
That's great customer service. Apparently they no longer provide any at all.

Quote:
You might try calling them at 800-336-8738.
I might, but I am quite hard of hearing and prefer not to talk on the phone if I can avoid it.

Quote:
From the picture it looks like a knot or other flaw in the wood. I think they use steam to bend the wood so a burn is not likely. Heat is used to dry the wood.
Yes, I agree, it looks like the burn was in that piece of light colored wood PRIOR to it being laminated together with the darker wood. But any decent level of QA should have caught it early, certainly before lamination, before shaping and sanding and before finishing, not to mention some kind of final inspection. It seems that big goober was ignored multiple times along the way. It's not easy to miss, you can see it clearly from quite a distance.

I can't blame Riverbum because the net is already wrapped up in a heavy plastic bag when they get them from Brodin. No reason (then) for Riverbum to have inspected it. They have a reason to now though.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:21 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

In defense of Brodin, I just got an email from Chris Brodin saying that if something is wrong with the net they will take care of it.

They have apparently been away at trade shows for the past couple weeks.

We'll see what happens now.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:43 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Thanks, Frank and Neil.

I'm glad to see I might not have to spend as much as I thought I might, but I'm wondering if there's any significant advantage to something like the Brodin when compared to the Cabela's (and I think Bass Pro has a similar net in the lower price range). Any thoughts?
I just bought a Brodien after a few years of a Cabelas, the Brodin is so light I hardly know its back there, I LOVE IT. The cabelas got to be pretty heavy after awhile. As far as removeing hooks easy, go barbles.
Bear
Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
Neil, what is that net like to pack around..i am also wanting a net but dont want to del with a hook in the mesh..it will probably be on my back
Not sure if I'm the "Neil" you're asking (& apologies for so late a response), but the Brolin replacement PVC clear netting I purchased is much easier to pack around than either the black rubber version or, for that matter, the original knotless netting that was on the net when I originally bought it.