The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:01 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Landing Net Recommendations

This topic might have been covered already, but my search skills must not be up to it...

Can anyone recommend a good landing net for me, or at least what qualities to look for? In the past I've used both wooden and aluminum nets, with knotted rope.

I'm looking to upgrade to something that is

1) Safer for the fish (so do I want mesh? rubber or some other synthetic?)

2) Won't be such a pain if my hooks get tangled/stuck in it (and I'll be using this not only for flyfishing with dropper rigs, but also with treble hooks on spinning/baitcasting tackle).

I fish about 50/50 for trout and smallmouth, but throw in some catfish, largemouths, pretty much anything else every now and then.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Landing Net Recommendations

Hi jcl,

Check out the Brodin Ghost series. The Gallatin is a very good size to carry on the back of your vest. They also make the Tailwater in the same style of net but the hoop is bigger.

Brodin Gallatin Ghost
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I picked up a clear rubber mesh net from Cabella's a few weeks ago for $29.99 & I'm happy with it . It is a little heavier than my old mesh one but it is a lot easier on the fish & I haven't had to fight a hook out of the mesh.. It's big enough for landlocked salmon & smallmouth bass ,so ck out the Cabella's website..
Cabela's Wood Frame Rubber Net

Neil
Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Frank and Neil.

I'm glad to see I might not have to spend as much as I thought I might, but I'm wondering if there's any significant advantage to something like the Brodin when compared to the Cabela's (and I think Bass Pro has a similar net in the lower price range). Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I can't speak for the clear net the "other Neil" liked from Cabela's, but I can vouch for the PVC "ghost netting" that Brolin has. I used it to replace a black rubber net I got from Cabela's for my triangular collapsible and telescoping net's original knotted mesh. The clear PVC netting from Brolin was far lighter than the heavy black rubber netting I had, and equally fish-friendly.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I was going to weigh in but you guys nailed it. Fish freindly rubber is best! Fish won't spook so bad useing the clear version. Hoop size matters too, Don't want to fold the fish to fit the net. The rest is asthetics, Fancy wood impresses some people, but odds are you will break it or lose it before wearing it out. I like a cut down boat net, and leave them room to move around. Fish seem to panic less and get released more smoothly.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I had a conversation with the daughter of a NorCal fly fishing industry personality. She is not a big fan of the Brodin Ghost Nets. She found that the openings on net are large enough to get fish gills caught on them. Her father has talked with Brodin on making the "mesh" spaces smaller. I don't know if any progress was made on it.

One of the local shops here won't sell the net until that issue is fixed.

MP
Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Neil, what is that net like to pack around..i am also wanting a net but dont want to del with a hook in the mesh..it will probably be on my back
Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

I would not recommend the Brodin. I bought the Frying Pan Float Tube Ghost model from Riverbum, and it has an area on the handle about 1" long that looks like the pale colored wood was actually *burned* PRIOR to assembling the net.

I complained to both Riverbum and Brodin. Brodin has absolutely not responded at all. Riverbum says they will prod Brodin. Brodin apparently doesn't care.

For $129 I expected better than this.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:12 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Now that I am home, here's a picture of the area that appears burned:

Click the image to open in full size.

I sent this picture to Brodin and Riverbum too.