The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the Caribbean > Other

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 PM

GuyFromLaw will become famous soon enoughGuyFromLaw will become famous soon enough
Default River Clyde, Scotland

I hope this is the appropriate venue for this post, if not, mods please accept my apologies.

I'm new to you guys and intend to scurry around your archives and find out what you have all been up to and how you all do it over there.

Whilst I'm here I'll give back what I can, so I've started this thread and I shall bring you fishing reports throughout the season.

We're fishing for Atlantic salmon, sea and brown trout, mainly on my local river, the Clyde, but I'll also post reports from elsewhere too.

The Clyde is a spate river and in the run up to the summer salmon and grilse runs, we've been experiencing very low water conditions. The stretch I'm fishing is controlled by United Clyde AP Assoc, and sits above a large weir with a crudely sited and wholly inadequate fish ladder, so we really rely on the rain to bring us fish up.

Migratories aside, we also have some superb brown trout and grayling fishing.

Here's a peak at one of my favourite salmon pools. There's usually a fast run spilling down into the pool, but as you can see it's so low there's simply not much flow at all.

Click the image to open in full size.

A couple of harsh winters have seen the river almost completely frozen over for most of it's 106 mile course, and when the thaws set in the river was flowing with thick encrusted ice packs which have gouged and scoured the river bed completely changing the pools. It's been heartache arriving down in the spring for it to dawn on you that those well known lies are now gone, but it gives you a fresh challenge in seeking out other suitable lies newly formed.

The stretch of river immediately below this pool has changed dramatically in the last few years. You can see where the trees sit in the water, that's where they were rooted to the banking a year ago. Huge melt floods took away the land here.

As you can see the sand martins cashed on the opportunity.

This stoney island is now only navigable in low water conditions, and with it trapping even more boulders during the winter floods, it's becoming bigger and totally reshaping this stretch of river.

This looks like it's going to develop into a really nice stream, especially that shaded lie on the right hand side, but when there are likely to be fish there it may be almost impossible to access this point to cover them. You can never win.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: River Clyde, Scotland

John: Great report on your local river and some awesome looking river photos, thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 06-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

John,

River Clyde looks very good to me, almost familiar. You may or not know that I have been mesmerized by salmon fishing ever since I was a boy. When I look at your pictures I can see opportunity when the river sees enough fish. I was born in trout country but began to travel in 1981 to find these big fish. Some here know what it's like to be stricken by the desire to fish for salmon. I wait through the longest and harshest of winter every year just for another go at them.

Is this public water? I'll watch for your postings throughout the season, good thread this one.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Had heard about the Clyde but never seen pics...so thanks for sharing John
By the way have you met Bonnie on the Clyde?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM

GuyFromLaw will become famous soon enoughGuyFromLaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Had heard about the Clyde but never seen pics...so thanks for sharing John
By the way have you met Bonnie on the Clyde?
No I have not.

But any more cheeky comments like that and I'll give you the "right turn Clyde"

Every Which Way But Loose JP.

(I'm JP as well by the way)
Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

another JP on the forumsome people are going to worrythey say I'm naughty (which might be right) but they love me
Welcome again JP!great and very friendly people here!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
another JP on the forumsome people are going to worrythey say I'm naughty (which might be right) but they love me
Welcome again JP!great and very friendly people here!
Even more coincidentally my full initials are JPB.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromLaw View Post
Even more coincidentally my full initials are JPB.
That's a disaster
Hope that like every good scotsman you're a rugby fan....I'm not very confident with the french team for the next world cup ....what about Scotland?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
That's a disaster
Hope that like every good scotsman you're a rugby fan....I'm not very confident with the french team for the next world cup ....what about Scotland?
I'm afraid I was indoctrinated into soccer from an early age. I'm a Hibernian FC fan, but I love watching the 6 nations.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Guys I was sure I had posted a pic of a wee brownie I caught the other week. If not, I don't know where it has got to, but here it is anyway.