The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the Caribbean > Other

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Culebra

Headed for Culebra in late February with the wife and some friends. Not a fishing trip, explicitly, but it would be a downright sin to be in the Caribbean and not chase a few tails. Anyone have any skinny on opportunities on the island?

Have contacted Chris Goldmark and penciled in a couple of days and will pick his brain for DIY opportunities (that won't step on his professional toes), but any other info I can go prepared with would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Mike

Last edited by Sep; 12-10-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:08 AM

ericb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Culebra

Are you speaking of The tiny island just east of Puerto Rico and near Vieques? When I was 10, I lived in San Juan and we took a trip to Culebra. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. I can't offer you any advice, but only a funny story.

I had no gear, so my mom took me to a local store and Bought be a spoon of mono and some hooks (no bobbers or sinkers). I awoke before my family the following morning. I dug around in the sand hoping to find a work for bait. Of course, I found none. "Ahah," I thought. "We have some leftovers.."

Did you know it is hard to get cooked lobster to stay on a hook? I walked down the dock of and lowered the line into the clear water. As soon as it it was about 4 feet deep, a slender, silver fish jetted toward my bait. No kidding, it bit my little hook in half! Shortly after, I landed the first fish of my life, a grays by grouper. Do a Google image search to see how beautiful this fish is. And they're delicious too!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

That's the place, Eric!

It's encouraging to hear that with a little mono and a hook you were able to catch fish. Perhaps, with all my hi-tech gear, I have a prayer. :-)

To illustrate... Mike's Gone Fishin'... Again: Hucked

Cheers!

Mike
Old 12-10-2014, 04:06 PM

ericb is on a distinguished road

Here's another Culebra story. My dad rented a little 14' V bottom round about with a 5 hp outboard motor on it. His plan was to take the family for sightseeing in a motorboat. The owner showed my dad a map and warned him to not venture into a certain area or he'd be heading into open sea. Guess what, my dad missed a turn and he quickly realized that we were heading for the sea. My mom, my sister (8) and I (10) were in the boat. The owner also warned us that the area we were venturing into was shark-infested. The swells were getting large enough that when we crested each time the props were coming out of the water. He had to time his maneuver perfectly to do a u-turn between swells. He executed it marvelously, making certain we were not parallel to the oncoming wave. I'll never forget it.

Don't do what my dad did. Culebra is a beautiful place teeming with sea life. You'll have a great stay!