The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default steelheading advice needed

Hello.
Anyone got any steelhead tips or tricks they want to share. Is it better to go when the river is on the rise or after? do you generally find them at the end of the pools?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: steelheading advice needed

Thony,
I'm also new to playing the steelhead game. This book has provided some great info. 'A psssion for steelhead' written by Dec Hogan.
A Passion for Steelhead - Dec Hogan - book review - Global FlyFisher
Many of the stunning photographs contained in this wonderful book are well worth the investment themselves.

Also an interview with Dec Hogan that you can listen to here. Dec Hogan | Fly Fishing
If you have an I-Pod you can download the interview and listen to it on your way to the river, or even on the river.

These two referrences are certainly not all there is, but it's a great start. Enjoy.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi thony,

Here is something I wrote for another post.

There is another post about Steelhead on the New Post list right now. It may be helpful. Here is a post that I made.

Frank

Here are some tips that work for me with Salmon and Steelhead. Steelhead are a little different than Salmon but close enough.

1. The fish tend to rest in deeper water so pools are very good spots to fish.

2. Remember that fish have to swim the whole length of the river to reach spawning grounds. So look for pinch points in the river. If you can find a narrow section that cuts down the area you have to fish. Some where in that narrow section all of the fish have to pass. In wide sections there may be several paths that the fish use but you have to figure out where they are. So if you have a river that is a hundred feet wide and it narrows to 40 feet that is the place I would be fishing first. The narrower the spot the better your chances. You do have to remember that in narrow spots the fish may be more on guard. So a little stealth may be needed.

3. The fish tend to migrate a certain distance and then rest. The resting sports will be used by other fish. If you find a spot with several fish resting today but they are gone tomorrow, more fish will be coming to that spot, remember it.

4. If the river has low water the fish will mass at the mouth of the river waiting for a good rain. So right after a good rain the fish will be moving into the river and advancing up river. That hot spot you had last week will be hot again.

5. You must be fishing with weighted flies and you must be getting hung up once in a while. When fish are resting in a pool they probably won't expend a lot of energy to rise to the surface to take a fly. They are there to rest. Finding the right depth with your fly may be the single most important thing in catching Steelhead. This is not to say that Steelhead can't be caught with dry flies. I think as a beginner you should use the style of fishing that produces the most results, that is sub-surface.

6. Steelhead like flies with some flash and red color.

7. A guide or friend who is already successful will make the journey a lot shorter to your first Steelhead.

8. If you hook a good Steelhead play the fish from the reel. Clear the line and get on the reel as fast as you can. Make sure the drag is set before you make your first cast. You just need some resistance to apply pressure to the fish. not near lock down.

9. Remember where and how you caught every fish. Those spots will repeatedly hold fish. With your first Steelhead there is a high chance that you will break off. If so sit down right then and go over it in your head. See if you did something wrong or stupid. Unfortunately stupid rears its head for all of us from time to time.

10. When you approach a pool with fish you need to plan how you are going to make your first cast. You may want to leave the river shore and come back at a different spot so you have a better angle. A little planning will go a long way.

Frank
Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Based on my experience in your area this time of year: bundle up, enjoy your surroundings, and take a flask, cuz you'll likely whiff on yer first few tries.

I'm not saying its not worth going, just being real.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:43 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

thanks fellas. ill listen to dec hogan and im on the hunt for his books.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

thony, check your local library... I have the Dec Hogan book on order at mine...

Dan