The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM

coach11 is on a distinguished road
Default Question: Fly Lines for Alaskan Salmon?

When fishing for salmon in the Seward area, what lines would I use most often with my 8/9 weight rod? I own several lines already including a floating line, an intermediate sinking line and sinking head lines in 175 grain, 250 grain and 300 grain. Which of these am I most likely to use? Are there other lines I should also consider buying?

Thanks for your advice.

Coach
Old 03-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question: Fly Lines for Alaskan Salmon?

Don't give up on getting an answer here. The resident Alaska guy is out at his cabin. When he gets back, I'm sure he will give you a sound answer.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:08 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I am no expert, but I have made two fishing trips to Alaska, the first one I started fishing in Anchorage, continued to Seward and eventually worked my way down to Juneau and Admiralty Island, the second trip I spent a few days fising in Denali and then spent a week on the Kenai river. I fished part of each trip on my own, but I also used 2 different guides (one on each trip). Both guides recommended that I use a floating line - main reason was that when the salmon are running heavy in the rivers, using a sinking fly line will often result in foul-hooking salmon. If the salmon are running deep you can put on a short sinking tip, but full sinking lines were not recommended. I had no problems catching tons of salmon along with lots of rainbows, dollys and grayling with all floating lines. The only place they suggested a sinking line was if I planned on fishing for King salmon on the Kenai river, or from a boat in the Prince William Sound.

I agree with Diver Dan's comment, Ard can give you the best answer. If you can provide some additional information regarding what species you plan on fishing for (salmon, bows, etc.), and how you expect to be fishing (boat vs. shore, river vs. bays, etc.) it will help Ard give you the best recommendation.

Last edited by Brewmaster; 03-17-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi coach,

Sorry but I missed your post. I fished Alaska for fifteen years and most of the time I use a 10' sink tip line. It was a slow sinker and worked well for all types of fish including Grayling, Trout and Salmon. I have to agree that a full sinking line has little use unless you were fishing deep lakes.

A floating line may be the best choice for most fishing. Many Alaska rivers are not deep and a floating line works fine. Coastal rivers are especially flat. If you take a floating line and a short sink tip line I think you would be covered. You do need weighted flies, included your streamers. Egg flies made with 4x heavy hooks do fine on either line.

One trick that I used was how I would positioned myself before making my cast. If I spotted a fish resting I would consider the fly, the weight of the fly, the line I had on, the depth and speed of the water. Then I would try to present the fly so it was at the right depth and position when it reached the fish. It is surprising how good you can get at presenting the fly just right the first or second try. But, then other times you may never get it right.

Frank
Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 PM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Frank on this one. While I carry a couple different size Rio's Versi-Tip's while fishing and guiding here in Alaska I usually end up using the floating line for most of my rainbow fishing or a 10' - 15' sink tip depending on the river and depth for the salmon. The exception can be in spring when getting leeches down deep for bows and the sockeye run where if your ankles are wet while wading the fish are likely running between you and the shore...go figure!

Paul

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Paul wrote: "The exception can be in spring when getting leeches down deep for bows and the sockeye run where if your ankles are wet while wading the fish are likely running between you and the shore...go figure!"

That is a great point Paul. Salmon almost always run up one side of the river or the other. Not always on the same side but usually on one side of the river instead of in the middle where a lot of people fish.

Frank
Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Coach,

Hi, are you fishing in the Resurrection Bay or the moving water? Question #2, do you live in Seward?

Ard