The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road
Default Alaska to phase out felt soles

Alaska Board of Fisheries for adopting a statewide phase-out of felt sole wading products, effective Jan. 1, 2012

The board on Friday, March 19, 2010 passed the proposal unanimously after hearing testimony earlier in the week from anglers, lodge owners and others who warned that unless Alaska takes action to protect its freshwater rivers, lakes and streams, they risk becoming infected as in other parts of the world. Alaska is now the first state to enact a complete statewide ban on felt sole wading gear..

Read More at Trout Unlimited
Alaska Enacts Statewide Ban on Felt Sole Wading Gear | Trout Unlimited Blog

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska to phase out felt soles

Paul

You probably didn't see the earlier thread, but here was a post last week that mentioned this. I'm sure glad to see that Alaska is being proactive about trying to prevent the spread of invasive species into the pristine waters of Alaska.

Alaska commended for saying goodbye to felt

Larry
Old 04-01-2010, 05:28 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

i have already made the switch. i think most states will follow Alaska's example. i believe this because it cost them money to maintain rivers and fight the invasive species. it cost them nothing to make you buy new wading shoes.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 PM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

I think that you will find that the major manufacturers have already abandoned felt so everyone will be adopting newer soles so to say by default. Simms has apparently dumped the balance of their felt soled wading boots (see sierra trading post) and no longer offer them I doubt it will be long before the rest follow suit if they have not already. One thing to note (from the Simms site) is that you can buy vibram soles and have your existing boots re-soled so there are options out there to buying new boots if you invested in a good pair recently..

Paul

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips

Last edited by AKGuide; 04-06-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added some additional 'sole'
Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

No harm done here, I've been wearing cleated rubber since 96'. I always had a problem with the way snow caked up on felt and when Orvis offered their Henry's Fork boot with cleated rubber I got on board and stayed there. I have a pair of non cleats for wear in the boats also.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;