The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/)
-   -   Diamond Lake, OR report (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/13933-diamond-lake-report.html)

flyfishingphil 05-31-2010 03:10 PM

Diamond Lake, OR report

Just joined and thought I'd drop a little info on Diamond Lake and see if there are those that would like more reports.

Went up 5/28. Fished outlet end using AIrFlo fast sink intermediate tip. tried numerous flies until I put on a size 10 3X long dark green Dragonfly nymph and recovered at mid-level to bottom bouncing. 8 or 9 3lb+ rainbows measured. Lost several others during jumping (claim LDR!).

Conditions 36*F at 9 AM, 41*F at 4 PM. Wind, rain, snow, sun and all at the same time a couple of times. Loop around lake open as are ramps and campgrounds. (Intended photos but batteries dead in camera. Will have photos in future.)

Do lots of local fishing (live in Central Point, OR) except the Rogue below the Holy Water. (Not too excited about 17" "steelhead"). Can do reports on other local lakes if wanted. Just let me know.

Frank Whiton 05-31-2010 05:15 PM

Re: Diamond Lake, OR report

Hi flyfishingphil,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the fishing report.

I wasn't sure where Diamond lake was located but I found some fishing reports. Some nice fish coming out of the lake but it seems like they are killing way too many at the lodges. I bet they are trolling for them.

That is nice country you live in. I use to fish in Northern Oregon a lot when I lived in Washington.

Thanks again for sharing your success at Diamond Lake.

Frank

Hardyreels 05-31-2010 06:19 PM

Hi Phil,

Always good to hear what's happening in other parts of the country. Welcome to the group you're gonna fit right in.

Ard

flyfishingphil 05-31-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 93209)
Hi flyfishingphil,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the fishing report.

I wasn't sure where Diamond lake was located but I found some fishing reports. Some nice fish coming out of the lake but it seems like they are killing way too many at the lodges. I bet they are trolling for them.

That is nice country you live in. I use to fish in Northern Oregon a lot when I lived in Washington.

Thanks again for sharing your success at Diamond Lake.

Frank

They are taking a lot Frank but, since the rotenone treatment a couple of years ago, the fish are growing real fast. Lots of food for them. The latest estimate is somewhere around 200,000 fish in the lake. It was a trophy lake for years until the tui chub was introduced. Just about starved out the trout. At the rate they're growing it could easily become a "trophy" lake in the very near future.

mcnerney 05-31-2010 07:27 PM

Phil: Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting a fishing report! I didn't know where Diamond Lake was until I did a look up!

Larry

flyfishingphil 05-31-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 93224)
Phil: Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting a fishing report! I didn't know where Diamond Lake was until I did a look up!

Larry

OK, I can take a hint! For those not familiar with the area Diamond Lake is on Hiway 138 east out of Roseburg and just a few miles west of Crater Lake. Maybe 25 west of Hiway 97. At the Junction of Hiway 230 & 138. (62, out of Medford, turns east past Crater. Just before that 230 takes off 62 and continues nort to 138)

Maybe next time I'll give some GPS co-ordinates so you can look it up real easy on Google Earth. Or, maybe take a photo of a map showing where the various lakes are located and include that.