The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 01:43 PM

awake777 is on a distinguished road
Default Noob needs advice for guide services and fishing locales in OR and WA

I will be on vacation in the NW end of July for a couple of weeks.

I am in Texas and brand new to fly flying. I just caught my first fish on a fly yesterday (panfish). I have a 4 weight rig that I bought used.

On vacation I will be primarily based in Vancouver, WA area (i.e. next to Portland). But will likely also be going to Newport, OR (beach) and Seattle, WA, and possibly the San Juan Islands.

Doing a little reading, it seems like the opportunities are immense. Trout, salmon, steelhead.

Several questions:
1. I assume that if I am going to go after anything other than smallish trout, I would be well served to get a bigger rig. What would be recommended? 7 weight? 8 weight? Also want something that I could use with bass in Texas.

2. Recommendations on guide service near or around Vancouver, WA? Money is an object.

3. I would love to catch a salmon....best strategy I should have for that?

4. What kind of saltwater from-shore fishing might be practical in Newport area? How should I prepare?

5. Any once-in-a-lifetime fishing opportunities in the areas I have mentioned that I should try and look into?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Noob needs advice for guide services and fishing locales in OR and WA

When will you be in Newport?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

Lots to do in this part of the country...it really depends on what you want to chase. Being in Vancouver you will be right by the Columbia river, which is a great place for carp and smallmouth bass. I basically only fish for carp anymore...

For trout, the deschutes is the best river in the state and the resides there are tough as nails. You can fishnit with a 4 wt but a 5 is probably better...a 6 is ok as well. You can crush trout and whitefish on the d just nymphing smallish (16-18) bead heads, and there are great mayfly and caddie hatches in the evenings. If you want to hire a great guide, check out chris o'donnell.

http://www.fishdeschutes.com/

Chris has taken me down the river before and is a flat out fantastic guide...you will have a great time fishing with chris and learn a ton...tell him I said hello and he will make fun of what a trash fishing carp guy I am.

The ocean is tough. I have tried it and fishing from the beach really requires specialized equipment (sinking lines, stripping baskets, etc) but if you want to try it fish a heavy sinking line and I would suggest fishing jetties or piers. Tough to find the fish on the beach but there are always fish off the rocks...think big, heavy baitfish patterns or shrimp patterns.

That time of year, do the D or columbia warm water stuff. You would need an 8 wt for the ocean and a 6-8 is fine for warm water Columbia. 5-6 is good for the deschutes. If I were you, I would hire a guide, float the d for a day and get a feel for the water.

Best of luck,

Carp on the Fly

Last edited by john montana; 07-03-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: Noob needs advice for guide services and fishing locales in OR and WA

If you get up around the Seattle area, you can contact the Waters West guide service and fly shop - they can connect you with guides for the rivers out on the Olympic penninsula including the Bogachiel, Sol Duc and others, opportunities for some great steelhead fishing.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

Derek Young is in WA. EmergingRivers.com

He is a great guy and an even better guide.

Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing on the Yakima River | Emerging Rivers Guide Services

I am heading out mid July...... Yakima River
Hope this helps.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Anything going on in the Cowlitz at that time period? Like the idea of the (very) lower Big D. Easy drive from Portland/'Coover and you can easily access both sides of the river mouth on foot.

And by month end there should be a reasonable number of summer runs showing up. A word of caution in fishing the Deschutes ...... you DO want to have a wading staff!.

One other option may be the John Day (empties into the Columba in the same general area). Some one else will have to fill you in on the lower bit of that. That said, there is a very good map of the lower parts of both rivers and it's cheap as chips.

http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/prin...dbrochures.php