The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Jim S is on a distinguished road
Default Guidance on fishing the Metolius in August

A week in the Bend/Black Butte area will allow for a day's fishing on the Deschutes and another on the Metolius in the vicinity of Camp Sherman. Have a guide for the Deschutes, but commercial guides aren't allowed on the Metolius.

Any guidance on spots to fish on the Metolius, what to tie on, or techniques would be much appreciated. Are there any fishing access maps of the Metolius
to be found anywhere?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Guidance on fishing the Metolius in August

Jim,

First off, welcome to the forum. I'll give you a tip if you promise to post about your trip when you get back.

Go to this thread; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ther-name.html

Scroll down and find a post by member fredaevens, this guy lives on the Deschutes and will be your best source of real time Intel that I know of. Send him a PM (you'll figure that out) and he will respond if he isn't out fishing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Guidance on fishing the Metolius in August

hi jim.
Good pick.... the metolius is a gorgeous river. You can ask anybody....... the metolius is one of the hardest river to fish.... The water is very clear with smart large rainbows. Down river of camp sherman, up a little ways from the info station (2 min) walk. I have seen tons of fish......HUGE! The few times i have made the trip i have not seen very many people fish there (no one). I have heard of success fishing with streamers. Never pulled fish out or seen anyone. October caddis were coming off and i was using october caddis paterns. Every stinking imitation and size. The fish were rising eating october caddises around my fly. There is a fly shop at sisters. They would know what is going on. I have seen maps of the metolius at fly shops. There are alot of deadlines so it would be good to have a map. The people around camp sherman (fellow fly fishermans) are always willing to let you know what is going on.

Last edited by thonyb; 06-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.