The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 06:05 AM

snav3 is on a distinguished road
Default Medford Oregon

I will be in Medford Oregon for a few days next week. Does anyone have any tips for flyfishing spots near there? I will only have a 4 wt rod.

thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 12:29 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medford Oregon

North Fork of the Umpqua. some of the best.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi snav3,

Welcome to the forum.

Medford is close to the Rouge River but you need a guide and drift boat to really fish it. Go to this site for fishing reports in that area. The Trophy Waters Flyfishing Shop is right in Medford and they should be able to put you on to some fish. There are some mountain lakes in the area also.

Your timing is off for Steelhead. I don't think the summer run starts until August. There is a lot of fishing in that area.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:54 PM

snav3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help, I'll check out that shop if I have time.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:30 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snav3 View Post
I will be in Medford Oregon for a few days next week. Does anyone have any tips for flyfishing spots near there? I will only have a 4 wt rod.

thanks
Hi snav3... Well I live in Medford, OR so I suppose I should know few spots The Rogue is a big time Steelhead and Salmon river, but you can catch little trout or steelhead smolts. Stop in at McKenzie Outfitters and ask there.

If you want to dry fly fish the streams you can drive north on Hwy 62 towards Prospect and try fishing the Rogue headwaters for little trout. You can stop at the Prospect Ranger Station and ask. The water is crystal clear, the brush is thick, the views are unbelievable and if you can get where no has been in a while you can catch little trout at every hole with a royal wulff. Of course you need to stalk the fish, fish upstream, make no noises...

Finally you could drive to Klammath Lake and fish off of Rocky Point. IF the bite is on there are MONSTER trout there. But take my advice and let them go. They don't taste too good.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:04 PM

natureday is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to natureday

There is great fishing in Ashalnd Or that is about 15 min. from Medford.
I love that area! Have a great time!
Anna23@natureday.com
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStreams View Post
Hi snav3... Well I live in Medford, OR so I suppose I should know few spots The Rogue is a big time Steelhead and Salmon river, but you can catch little trout or steelhead smolts. Stop in at McKenzie Outfitters and ask there.

If you want to dry fly fish the streams you can drive north on Hwy 62 towards Prospect and try fishing the Rogue headwaters for little trout. You can stop at the Prospect Ranger Station and ask. The water is crystal clear, the brush is thick, the views are unbelievable and if you can get where no has been in a while you can catch little trout at every hole with a royal wulff. Of course you need to stalk the fish, fish upstream, make no noises...

Finally you could drive to Klammath Lake and fish off of Rocky Point. IF the bite is on there are MONSTER trout there. But take my advice and let them go. They don't taste too good.
Just a note, This post was posted a long time ago, Mckenzie Outfietter, which was a great shop, is not longer in business in Medford, and their others shops dont do flyfishing. Try rogue angler (-866-488-6454 541-488-6454), ashland fly shop 864 Oak Street
Ashland, OR 97520-1265
541-482-1430), Trophy waters101 S. Grape St.
Medford, Oregon 97501
Phone: (541) 734-CAST (2278)
and blue heron fly shop for the upper rogue
109 Hargis Ln Idleyld Park, OR. Phone: 541-496-0448.

The upper rogue is THE PLACE to catch 20 -30 pound steelhead, tho as a previous poster said not sure if they are in, the blue heron can tell you if they are and what the trout are like. Also try
northwest outdoor supply 435 Se Jackson Street, Roseburg, OR 97470
http://www.northwest-outdoors.com

(541) 440-3042

Then also try Mackenzie outfitters, a couple hours north,39297 McKenzie Highway, in Walterville, OR (click for directions). (541) 736 5045 (Brian, the owner, has been written up in at fly fishing magazines as knowing every inch of the river)

Here is a report from late april
The McKenzie had fished very well with a solid March Brown hatch that got all of the fish feeding hard. After the hatch waned down the wet fly swinging action was off of the charts. Many nice cutthroats and rainbows were caught. Fish ranged from 10-12 inches with many fish from 14-15 inches and several that were up to 17 inches. The majority of the fish were taken on wet fly softhackles, but dries were good for about an hour and nymphs took the largest rainbows. Some small grannom caddis were hatching, but nothing too major.

Flies that worked were softhackles in size 12 and 14 in hare’s ear, yellow, pheasant tail BH, peacock BH with a red butt, and royal coachman wets. Dry fly march brown parachutes were all we needed to get the fish and the fly was a lighter version of pinkish brown. The nymphs were golden stones and possie buggers.

Steelhead are starting to show up in decent numbers and fishing for them from here on out is viable. It will only get better as the fish numbers get larger with each calendar day. <end>

Also, about a hour and a half south, the upper sac will be fishing off the hook, and then their is the Klammath about 45 miles south (in ca), not sure it will be fishing.

Steve, Tropical Lightning Creations Rep