The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 PM

ibfishin is on a distinguished road
Default 4 peice or 3 peice

New to fly fishing looking to build a rod and would like to know the pro' and con's
of a 3peice and 4peice rod

thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 4 peice or 3 peice

I own both and like both. The question is what you want not what I may like but in this case I like both so you can do no wrong. A 4 piece rod will travel better with you but a three piece sometimes has a bit of a cleaner power band due to the fewer and placement of the ferrules. The three piece will be a bit less work when it comes to your windings and tippings also.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Where do you live / fish and what do you fish for?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ibfishin,

I am going to assume you are talking a graphite rod. The latest technology for ferrules is very good. You probably won't notice any difference in performance between a three or four piece rod. What you will notice is how much easier the four piece rod is to pack or transport. That is the big advantage with the four piece over the three piece. You will also find far more rod cases and carriers for the four piece size rods.

Here is one other advantage with a four piece rod. If you buy a carrier that is long enough for two pieces to fit into with the reel attached, it makes a great way to move a rod around or protect it in a boat. You can take a four piece rod all rigged up and ready to fish and break it in the middle and place it in a carrier that takes the reel. When you are at your next spot just pull the rod out and put the two sections together. This works great in a bush plane or boat.

Frank
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 PM

ibfishin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I own both and like both. The question is what you want not what I may like but in this case I like both so you can do no wrong. A 4 piece rod will travel better with you but a three piece sometimes has a bit of a cleaner power band due to the fewer and placement of the ferrules. The three piece will be a bit less work when it comes to your windings and tippings also.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Where do you live / fish and what do you fish for?

Ard
I am from Forest Grove Oregon, I fish the Wilson River for the most part, but I also fish the Clackamas, Sandy, and some times make it up the Kalama, and the Lewis River.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I'm no engineer or physicist, but I have heard it said that rods with an odd number of pieces have better "harmonics" than those with even numbers of pieces.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum ib.

Folks have mentioned it being easier to travel with a four piece--- in addition to the general advantages of a four piece packing shorter, specifically this also means that most four piece 9' or shorter rods conform to air line requirements allowing them to be carried on and stored in overhead compartments as opposed to having to be checked in as baggage (and thus being subjected to a greater possibility of damage or loss during flights especially if you have to make several connections).

I have a bunch of 3 piece rods that I like very much, and prior to 9/11 they could be carried on planes no problem. Now as I buy new rods they'll all be four piece. The 3 piece rods i have are all fast action, and I suspect that the 3 piece design suits them better because of the break point in the blank in terms of action (bending mostly the in top 1/3 of the blank when loaded with fly line), but frankly I'm not a good enough fly caster to notice any practical difference in performance between 2, 3 and 4 piece rods.

Last edited by peregrines; 07-04-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default +1 to what Ard said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Ard
Four bits are easier to travel with, but rod for rod I've found the three piece rods to have the better 'through action.' Maybe just the ones I've tried, but loved each and every one of their actions (less flat spots?).
fae
Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard about the harmonics as well, plus guide placement are more overall alined on a three...but heck I can't tell the difference.