The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM

part270579 is on a distinguished road
Smile Mid May West Coast Fishing Trip.

Hey guys, new to the forum.

I know this may seem a little cheeky but I'm looking for some guidance for a trip my wife has planned for May. We're are travelling from Vancouver to San Fran(three nights near fisherman's wharf) via the Victoria-to-Port Angeles ferry. The trip is outlined below on goggle maps.

Victoria, BC to Burnaby, BC - Google Maps

I'm looking for places to fish along the way. I'll be hitting the Sac in the Reddington area and I'm dropping into Leland at Sanoma Ranch. I'll be passing through Healdsburg, Reddington and Roseburg on our return leg, so this is the area I'd like to concentrate on.

I have already looked into state licences and regulations etc. I'll be taking with me a 9ft 6wt, 9ft 8wt and a 9ft 10wt just in case I get a chance for something salty. I may buy a 3 or 4wt 8'6 outfit before I go. As always, C&R.

Thanks in advance,

Pat
Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mid May West Coast Fishing Trip.

Pat: Sounds like a great trip for May, I can't help with the fishing tips, I grew up in CA but never fly fished there. I did spend three days in SF in Sept and can recommend two great restaurants: The Slanted Door, it is in Ferry Building #3 right on Enbarcadaro. Slanted Door Restaurant - San Francisco, CA | OpenTable and the other one is the Epic Roadhouse at 369 Embarcadaro. San Francisco Restaurants With A View | Dining San Francisco
You will need to make reservations well in advance to have a chance of getting into either of these restaurants.
Be sure to post a trip report once you get back, we would love to hear how the fishing went.

Larry

Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

At Redding.. Lower Sacramento (on your list) - watch the flows.. it can get ripping through there depending on the snow pack - if you're wading.. 10,000 cfs is probably the highest I'd go.. but there's spots where it's ok higher than that. THE FLY SHOP® - FLY FISHING EQUIPMENT, GUIDE SERVICES, AND INTERNATIONAL FLY FISHING TRIPS

After Redding, the turnoff to Hat Creek and the Pit River aren't that far (head towards Burney on 299).. Fall River a little further

Above Lake Shasta...

Upper Sacramento.. lots of places there.. May will depend on runoff. But From Sims Rd all the way to Ney Springs can be great.. and lots of places to fish to get away from people. Dunsmuir: Ted Fay Home

And the McCloud is off H-89... Nature Conservancy stretch is worth a hard look.

And just south of the Oregon Border, on I-5, the Klamath might be worth a look..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 PM

part270579 is on a distinguished road

Wow! This forum is awesome. I use a few others and they are in no way as helpful as you guys have been.

Larry: Thanks for reply and advise. The wife will be intrigued by the restaurants. She may have already scoped them as she's got heaps of stuff pre-booked but when she gets home I'll have her on it. (She's good at organisation, it's her profession).

Trip report will not be a problem. I'm off to UK in March for 7 weeks. I'll hit the rivers and see what I can wangle on the fly.

Dhayden: Thank you for all the information and very sound advice. I didn't even think about the extreme flows. Something to log in my head for future reference. I'll be working on those areas tonight and see how they fit in with the return journey.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"And just south of the Oregon Border, on I-5, the Klamath might be worth a look.. "

And just north of that you have the Rogue River.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Good advice from Dhayden. If the flows are managable, the Pit and McCloud are special, and the upper Sac is beautiful too. There's some nice water right in the town of Dunsmuir.

Those rivers are notoriously tough wading and many who go there get dunked, so take a staff. There's no shame in wearing a pfd, too.

Personally, I'm too chicken to wade the Lower Sac (redding) except at a couple of places that are very tame. It's a big powerful river. The Fly Shop will indeed give you a map with spots to wade, but talk with them about safety as well...I know, I'm a coward.

-Mike
Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post

Those rivers are notoriously tough wading and many who go there get dunked, so take a staff. There's no shame in wearing a pfd, too.

Personally, I'm too chicken to wade the Lower Sac (redding) except at a couple of places that are very tame. It's a big powerful river. The Fly Shop will indeed give you a map with spots to wade, but talk with them about safety as well...I know, I'm a coward.

-Mike
No 'coward' at all Mike. Water is totally neutral, it doesn't care if you want to do something 'silly.' We lost a young lady just yesterday ....... playing in the snow on a river bank, slipped ... and gone.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:42 PM

ranjit is on a distinguished road

I will be in oregon the second half of may with my wife and kid and I plan on getting as much fishing in as I can. I was planning on hiring a guide to flat some rivers in the Eugene area. Hit me up if you want to share a guide for a day or two. The prices seem good about 350 for a days float for 2 people.
Ranjit