The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/)
-   -   Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/243528-looking-some-good-spots-near-clackamas-sandy-rivers.html)

fryfishingguy 02-23-2012 10:19 AM

Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers

So I'm new to the Portland area and KNOW there are probably dozens of great fishing spots but I wanted to ask forum members if they had any specifically that were good for them...

I'm looking for someplace where I can wade to maybe 2" and have a clear view (not murky) of the bottom, with water that's not flowing too fast so that I can bring my 11 year old with me. Ideally, 45 min drive so from Tigard/Beaverton area and with ready access from the road.. so I don't have to hike from where I park..

I'm told there are quite a few spots like this on the Clackamas river, but I don't know where to even start looking... thanks all for the help.

Sam

BigCliff 02-23-2012 11:54 AM

Re: Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers

I fished the Clack a bit at Clackamette park, but the flow's pretty heavy there. Apparently its a good spot to net smelt during the run though.

There's access at a boat ramp across the river from Carver, with a steep creek pouring into the river right there.

I fished the Sandy as well, from Wildwood Park, I think. I caught nothing at any of those spots, how y'all do better.

Aside from fishing, enjoy Gustav's and McMenamin's.

mikel 02-23-2012 12:01 PM

Maybe some locals will chime in, but I have fished the Clack above Estacada...actually, above the reservoir, just a bit. Quite a bit of access. Lots of smaller trout eager to hit a dry or stimi/dropper. (This was summer, so check for current conditions.)

Follow the link I sent in a PM for better info.

-Mike

fryfishingguy 02-24-2012 12:47 AM

thanks for the info gents... I'll do more research on it.

Vans 03-03-2012 09:10 PM

If you want to fish the Clackamas,go to McIver park and park at the lower boat ramp. There is a good area for casting and fishing. If you head down river from there, there is a small island on the right hand side of which is a great run to fish.

Lots of good fishing at the park, by the other ramp as well. Only downside is there is a lot of pressure.

fredaevans 03-03-2012 09:25 PM

I'm thinking winter as well as summer here.

"I'm told there are quite a few spots like this on the Clackamas river, but I don't know where to even start looking... thanks all for the help."

Out of the area, but for winter the top end Oxbow park or the water (bottom end) of where the Sandy River Spey 'Clave is held (Sandy). I'm sure there are places further up, but fishing off the beach.

As for the 'Clack,' the very bottom end before 'Oregon City' for bank walking.

ALL that aside, Google 'flyfishusa' call and ask the Guys/Gals. They WILL know.
fae

fryfishingguy 03-03-2012 09:26 PM

Thanks, what I really want is a spot where I can wade in shallow area to make it easy to release the fish and not get them out if the water. I want a good stream is what I think I really want.

fredaevans 03-03-2012 09:35 PM

Cool! The 'young'uns,' and we Seasoned Citizens, need safe places to fish .... both of us will 'float away' if you push the Boundaries.
:D

chuck s 03-10-2012 12:42 AM

Molalla River Clackamas County | GoFISHn neat place and fun to fish!

fredaevans 03-10-2012 06:51 AM

Good call Chuck, good call. And you're right, the river is a treat to fish with little in the way of 'competition' bank-side.:wiggle: