The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers

So I'm new to the Portland area and KNOW there are probably dozens of great fishing spots but I wanted to ask forum members if they had any specifically that were good for them...

I'm looking for someplace where I can wade to maybe 2" and have a clear view (not murky) of the bottom, with water that's not flowing too fast so that I can bring my 11 year old with me. Ideally, 45 min drive so from Tigard/Beaverton area and with ready access from the road.. so I don't have to hike from where I park..

I'm told there are quite a few spots like this on the Clackamas river, but I don't know where to even start looking... thanks all for the help.

Sam
Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers

I fished the Clack a bit at Clackamette park, but the flow's pretty heavy there. Apparently its a good spot to net smelt during the run though.

There's access at a boat ramp across the river from Carver, with a steep creek pouring into the river right there.

I fished the Sandy as well, from Wildwood Park, I think. I caught nothing at any of those spots, how y'all do better.

Aside from fishing, enjoy Gustav's and McMenamin's.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Maybe some locals will chime in, but I have fished the Clack above Estacada...actually, above the reservoir, just a bit. Quite a bit of access. Lots of smaller trout eager to hit a dry or stimi/dropper. (This was summer, so check for current conditions.)

Follow the link I sent in a PM for better info.

-Mike
Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 AM

thanks for the info gents... I'll do more research on it.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

If you want to fish the Clackamas,go to McIver park and park at the lower boat ramp. There is a good area for casting and fishing. If you head down river from there, there is a small island on the right hand side of which is a great run to fish.

Lots of good fishing at the park, by the other ramp as well. Only downside is there is a lot of pressure.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking winter as well as summer here.

"I'm told there are quite a few spots like this on the Clackamas river, but I don't know where to even start looking... thanks all for the help."

Out of the area, but for winter the top end Oxbow park or the water (bottom end) of where the Sandy River Spey 'Clave is held (Sandy). I'm sure there are places further up, but fishing off the beach.

As for the 'Clack,' the very bottom end before 'Oregon City' for bank walking.

ALL that aside, Google 'flyfishusa' call and ask the Guys/Gals. They WILL know.
fae
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 PM

Thanks, what I really want is a spot where I can wade in shallow area to make it easy to release the fish and not get them out if the water. I want a good stream is what I think I really want.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Looking for some good spots near Clackamas or Sandy Rivers

Cool! The 'young'uns,' and we Seasoned Citizens, need safe places to fish .... both of us will 'float away' if you push the Boundaries.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Molalla River Clackamas County | GoFISHn neat place and fun to fish!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-10-2012, 06:51 AM

Good call Chuck, good call. And you're right, the river is a treat to fish with little in the way of 'competition' bank-side.