The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alaska/Anchorage August 8-24, 2008 -where and what to fish

What is the normal for tipping guides for a day trip? Scheduled a couple and wonder how much to tip?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 AM

drewhh is on a distinguished road

$10-$50 bucks a head. It really depends on whether you think that guide was working hard to get YOU on fish. so did you book a silver charter?
drew
Old 05-12-2008, 01:04 PM

I am actually scheduled for 3 days of fishing guides in drift-boats, two with the Flydrifters and one with Matt Duncan on the Kenai. Don't know who Matt is with, buddy booked him,

With the Flydrifters he is taking my family and I for the whole boat, one of the few who would combine fishing and sightseeing together on one boat.

Dogger
Old 05-12-2008, 07:19 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

Ah, Alaska. Went last year for 9 days, going back next year for 14 days.

There are great inland streams with fantastic fishing. You can check our website on the fishing page and there is about 30 minutes of photos and videos of the streams, lakes and ocean we fished.

I would also second the Milepost as well as this Alaskan website.

Alaska Outdoors Forums - Powered by vBulletin

this website is great as well

Alaska's Fly Fishing Network - Alaska Fly Fishing Forum and Website

get hold of Flashback Max and he can hook you up with the flys you will need for specific water for a very reasonable price.

Have a great time.

The day I left Alaska I started planning our return, it's a horrible illness
Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 AM

Dogger,
I don't know the guys at flydrifters but matt duncan is the real deal. You probably couldn't have picked any better. We used to work together and I fish with him a few times a year. he is, without a doubt, the fishiest guy I know. You will have a blast. Hope you are getting fired up.
drew
Old 05-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Charlie Booke -flydrifters

Flydrifter Fishing Kenai & Kasilof Driftfishing 2008

If anyone knows of Charlie, let me know! He seems like a stand up guy, very excited about his service and guests.

I am getting excited......3 days with guides, what could be better....I guess 4 days but at some point the wife would get pissed.

I am also planning to do some northern/muskie fishing and some lake fishing, should be a great trip
Old 05-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Pike is a four-letter word on the kenai peninsula. Not because they are not fun to catch but because they should not be there. They are an illegally stocked, invasive, species. You should definitely take any pike you catch in the lakes on the kenai. They are native further north and there is great monster pike fishing up toward the Yukon river and some fun pike fishing in the Matanuska-Susitna (MatSu) valley.

Pike Page, ADF&G, Sport Fish Southcentral Region
Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 PM

bilder is on a distinguished road

If you are stuck in Anchorage and just need to get out and fish for a bit here are some options in town.

Ship Creek- In August the Silver (Coho) salmon should be arriving. Located downtown by the Railroad depot. Can be crowded on the weekends and in the evening.

For trout, a number of the local lakes are stocked by Fish and Game. Some of my favorites are Campbell Point, DeLong, and Jewel Lakes. These lakes offer decent fishing and Campbell Point does have some 20+ inch Arctic Char.

A local fly shop does rent float tubes, forget the name.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewhh View Post
Dogger,
I don't know the guys at flydrifters but matt duncan is the real deal. You probably couldn't have picked any better. We used to work together and I fish with him a few times a year. he is, without a doubt, the fishiest guy I know. You will have a blast. Hope you are getting fired up.
drew
You got that right, that dude was lights out, caught 50 fish in one day with one Rainbow at 31-1/2" at 22"+ for girth-NUTS
Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Alaska Trip Part I:

Fishing Anchorage
Anchorage is the most traveled to city in Alaska, probably has the cheapest flights and overall has just about every major chain hotel and restaurant to be had along with some really nice “Alaskan” places to stay and eat. Anchorage has a population of 200,000+, but is plunked down in the middle of wilderness. One can walk a few blocks from the convention center to Ship Creek where fishermen pull salmon right from the downtown waterway. I thought there was dental hygienist convention going on seeing how people many were “flossing” for fish.

With up to a 30 foot tide coming in and out twice a day, many people time their fishing to a couple hours prior and up to the tide and others on the backside of the tide. If you’re going to fish in Ship Creek, be ready for some tight quarters of fishermen, everything from spinning rods to bobber’s w/roe to fly fishermen all casting to some really spooked fish. With that much of a tide, the current is very strong so the weights used would make you think they were deep sea fishing. Wisconsin fly-fishing split-shot will be laughed at by the locals and was as I talked to a few locals on how to fish these waters.
Salmon derby’s will pay out tens of thousands of dollars and will landed on the front page of the Anchorage newspaper the next day or worse for those who don’t buy a derby ticket, the laughter of those talking how they should have bought a ticket before catching a prized Salmon. On the train, I heard of some people who landed an 18 pound Silver Salmon, good enough for a prize in the derby. If you want to find a derby, you can’t swing a dead Dog-Salmon without hitting one someplace in Alaska.

Most of this type of fishing is either done of charter boats in the ocean or by combat fishing which is just about shoulder-to-shoulder fishing in the rivers and streams, while interesting to see and do for awhile, this is not why you go to Alaska for fishing. For real Alaskan fishing you’ll need to get out of Anchorage and get a guide.

1st real fishing trip
We journeyed south on the Seward Highway with our rental SUV. The road runs along the train tracks along Cook Inlet before going over Turnagain Pass. Amazing scenery south of Anchorage! We exited west to the amazing Kenai River area.

We met our guide and traveled 30 minutes to the west; we parked our rental and drove with the guide to Skilak Lake where he put his drift boat in. We motored across Skilak Lake to the Kenai River where we set up for some fishing. The current was very strong and the amount of weight put on the line was like we were working for Walleyes. Right away we saw schools of Red’s, King’s and Pink’s along with the target fish for August the Silver Salmon. The action started right away with Dolly Varden and Trout all 20”+, my wife was the 1st to get a Silver while I brought a 24” Trout to the net.

As we moved down river the action heated up to a point where the guide was netting fish with some three fish on sets between my wife, daughter and I. We easily caught 20 fish in 30 minutes with the biggest being a Silver around 30”. We continued to drift the “Wildlife Refuge” the rest of the day coming on schools of Salmon that would make your head spin all the while killing the Dolly Varden and Trout which were all over the 18” and below keeper range.

The day ended at “Torpedo Alley” hooking into 3 fish that ended up snapping our lines, after a long day of fishing with the family the guide took to us shore to cut up our fish; we then continued downstream to our rental SUV.

We stopped in Cooper Landing for food on Kenai Peninsula that refers to itself as "a quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem." The number of hats and T-shirts you could purchase with this on it was endless in many of the small towns we stopped in on the Kenai.

Meanwhile back in Anchorage

The dental hygienist convention continued flossing for Silvers, people on the bridge would spot them and fishermen would cast and cast and cast. I spent hours watching, casting, talking and you’d maybe see 2-3 Silvers caught during that time. It seemed the 1st run of Silvers had come and gone the week prior to me getting to Anchorage and the next run would start after we left near the end of August.

It was time to find another place to go fishing, consulting the local paper for fishing reports I concluded that the fishing wasn’t in Anchorage for Salmon and most of the streams and rivers mentioned were either combat fishing hotspots or too far to travel while on a “family” vacation.

The one option was to go Stillwater; the newspaper talked about the lakes in and around the Anchorage area and it seemed that within 30 minutes of Anchorage one could find plenty of fishing for Grayling, Arctic Char, landlocked Salmon and Trout. And this fishing I wouldn’t be using weights, instead I’d be able to use Wisconsin sized flies. Jewel Lake on the southeast side of town has a nice area for fishing. Rainbows are the deal there and there are plenty of them. Sand Lake probably has the best fishing, but the access point leaves you with a hike through a slough about 1/2 mile long until you hit some deeper water. It however would be a great lake with a small boat or tube and the fishing is pretty good. Campbell Lake is a small lake inside Kincaid Park and has tons of small trout. Oblong Lake is where I had the most success fishing one night with a fellow fly-fisherman from Alaska; we caught a bunch of rainbows as the sun dipped down at 10:30pm or 11:00pm. He explained that the fish in the lakes tend to eat when it is dark; I guess they are a little frightened by the Bald Eagles that live near the lakes!
North of Anchorage about 15 minutes is Eagle River and Mirror Lake which has a beach, picnic areas, a grill (a rare find in parks in Alaska, Bears I guess is the reason) and is home to many Rainbow Trout. North of there is a great State park called Chugach State Park, 25 miles north of Anchorage and a 10 mile scenic drive from the highway, located inside the park is Eklutna Lake, good access and a wonderful view of the twin peaks of the Yuditnu and Bold and eight-mile creek flowing into the lake. Dolly Varden and Grayling are the fish most plentiful, bright patterns and flashes of silver/ foil are your best bets in the glacial runoff lake.

Guides: Get a guide and make sure you interview them over email and phone, there are lots of guides up there and you want to make sure you fish with someone who actually will fish for what you want with the gear you want. You’d hate to be going after Rainbows with the fly to get hooked up with bait fishermen wanting to limit on Salmon. Do your homework! Most guides will make up a full boat; see how much it is to rent the whole boat for the 1/2 or full day. It might be worth it in the end to fish with people who know what they’re doing!