The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM

drewhh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alaska/Anchorage August 8-24, 2008 -where and what to fish

Dogger,
Glad you had a good trip this summer.
You should go buy the Salmon, Trout, Steelheader special edition. Not the regular issue with the hot chick on this month's cover...it is their special somthin-or-other
Matt Duncan is on the cover with the biggest rainbow I've ever seen.
Drew
Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road

How do I post photos? I have a picture of a trout that I caught with Matt, he said it was top 5 he's seen in his life.

Alaska Part II:
After spending 10 days in Alaska, enjoying everything it has to offer from some great train trips to a Prince William Sound glacier trip to spending every bit of sunlight soaking up the incredible beauty Alaska had to offer….we ended up heading north towards Denali and Mt McKinley.
I took my gear with me; no real plans of fishing while up there other than to take the opportunities as they came. We took off for Talkeetna to catch a train which would take us 115 miles into the wilderness on one of the only flag-stop trains left in America. The train, called the Hurricane Train is a diesel train that runs from Talkeetna to Hurricane Gluch. The train runs Thursday – Sunday, dropping off or picking up passengers at certain stops along the way, miss one and the train won’t be back until the next schedule time which could be a day or four depending on when you missed it.
I bring it up for one reason, amazing beauty, and very interesting seeing people coming onto the train with weapons used for protection while out camping, fishing, hiking or spending time in a rugged cabin. There were plenty of rivers and places to fish; the Indian River is a crystal clear river where many people fished while camping along the railroad tracks in State Parks.

Forks Roadhouse

We traveled north again to the southern side of Mt. McKinley and down a road much less traveled and off the beaten path is Petersville Road, just south of Denali State park in a small community called Trappers Creek. Down about 10 miles the road looses the pavement and is gravel the rest of the 30+ miles, a while down this road you’ll hit the Forks –Roadhouse. Nice little bar and restaurant with 1000’s of one dollar bills on the walls everyone with names, states and country’s names on them. While there, I got a fishing report on the many rivers and streams that flowed through this area.
That night I took the advice and went to Railroad creek, north of Trappers Creek, the action was pretty good, hitting Pink Salmon. Also, there were many Red’s –Sockeye and a few Silver-Coho Salmon. After this I went back down Petersville road to Moose Creek, why would they call it Moose Creek, I’d find out on the way down and three times on the way back, one Moose so close I could still identify down to the last hair I saw.

I had one last fishing trip to take; this would be with a friend who was coming off a week of Silver fishing on the Goodnews River. We took off for Soldotna which is about a 2 hour drive or so from Anchorage. Soldotna is very close to the coastal city of Kenai, both cities are pretty nice size cities with plenty of options for food and lodging, we ended up staying in a 2-bedroom cabin fully furnished with a deck out on a local lake. Which was overrun by Northerns, someone got the bright idea to “introduce” these into various lakes in Alaska. Bad news for the native fish in the lakes. They are such a problem they have no limit on Northerns and they actively net them and sometimes they even go further to rid these fish from the lakes. PIKE is a four letter word in these parts.

Our 1st day fishing was on the Kenai River where the Moose River flows into the Kenai. The Salmon were so thick that we foul hooked more than we caught in the mouth. We caught a couple Silvers mixed in with a TON of Pink Salmon. I think I caught 15 Pink Salmon in 30 minutes and once we saw they were Pinks, we did everything we could to LOSE the fish! The picture shows a male Pink Salmon, check out that hump, you can see why they are called Humpies.

We booked a combo trip this day, so we were fishing for Silvers with many of our drifts being set-up to catch Trout and Dolly Vardens. We caught our fair share of fish this day, but as we hit the back-stretch it started to rain and storm which ended our day pretty quickly.

Last day was the best day fishing catching 75 fish in an all day drift. We were on the Kenai River, put in at Skilak Lake and actually traveled about 20 miles through the same parts of the river we drifted before, this time with a new guide. Matt Duncan He’s on the cover of the December Fly Fishing and Tying Magazine. He can be reached at 907-223-0381. madmattduncan@alaska.net

We drifted with indicators with egg patterns and egg colored beads Matt made up, the action started with a bunch of Dolly Varden’s, the farther down the river we went the more trout we caught, 1st big trout was 28” which was a great fish.

We continued to drift over some great spots and the fishing was incredible! Then with about 2 hours to go in the trip we came to a spot in the river where the day before we hit some nice Silver Salmon near an island in the river. As we came up to it again, I thought this is going to be a great spot for Rainbow Trout and as we drifted on the right side of the island, a massive strike and ZIP went my line way out into the backing. I fought the fish and it made 5-7 massive runs while Matt put the boat off to an area in the river where I could get out and fight the fish in the stream.

It continued to make runs until finally it was netted, measured and released. 31-1/2” x 22” Rainbow Trout. I caught my 2 biggest trout in my life on the same day. 28” and this 31-1/2”
Old 12-24-2008, 12:47 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

When you post a response on the thread, there is a manage attachments under the box where you type your entry. It will prompt you to search for the file on your computer. Try to down size the pictures so that it loads faster. I think there is also instructions on how to post a picture on a thread here somewhere.

Frank is very knowledgable on the subject also.

John
Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dogger,

There is a FAQ about posting pictures. It should help you get your pictures posted. If you have any problems send me a PM.

Thanks for the great reports. I am waiting to see some pictures.

Frank
Old 12-25-2008, 09:34 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road

This is the 31-1/2" x 22" Rainbow caught on the Kenai river in Alaska this summer. I'll post more now that I think I know how to do it.

I'm the guy not holding the fish with the cool beard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GNRL_Aug_08_0302.JPG (88.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-26-2008, 12:39 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a great trip. It's a small world.

Click the image to open in full size.