The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default Good Wade Fishing on Deschutes?

OK experts I'm trying to nail down a section of the Deschutes to fish with my brother for an upcoming visit. He lives in Portland. We'll need a section or so of water that will lend it self more to wade fishing than float fishing. We plan to camp a night or two. We'll be chasing trout on 5 and 6 wts. I've been hearing Maupin area or Mecca Flats. Can anyone vouch for that or have other suggestions. Can't wait! I'm guessing the dry fly action and caddis activity will be good in early July? Thanks!

Alex
Old 06-30-2012, 04:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Wade Fishing on Deschutes?

Alex, pull up the BLM Deschutes River maps (extraordinary!) as they show all the camping areas, facilities (or lack there of) and are dead on down to the 1/10th of a mile.

Only thing is BRING WADING STAFFS! Solid ones, not the fold up Woozies. Wading this river is, like the North Umpqua, a life experience.

If you can't find the link to the 10'ish river maps let me know and I'll post up the info.

fae
Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

It's illegal to fish from a boat on the D, so you'll have to wade. There may be other regs as well. I'd check. -Mike
Old 06-30-2012, 11:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good call Mike, I'd forgotten that boats can only be used for transport. And the type of craft is restricted (motor vs. non-motor) during the week.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I just copied the regs for the area I think you're interested in...looks like a slot limit for taking redsides and restrictions on gear and fishing in addition to no fishing from a floating device. I'm surprised there's no mention of pinching barbs.

Deschutes River:
1. Mouth (North side of I-84 bridge)
upstream to the northern boundary
of the Warm Springs Reservation
(including White River upstream to
first falls) (Wasco Co.)
NOTE: Chinook salmon angling closed entire river. Emergency regulations opening
Chinook angling may be adopted after the printing of these regulations. Up-to-date changes
can be obtained by calling 1-503-947-6000 or at our internet site: ODFW Home Page.
• Open for coho salmon Aug. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open for trout entire year.
• 2 rainbow trout per day, 10-inch minimum and 13-inch maximum length.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire year.
• Restricted to artificial flies and lures, except bait may be used from Sherars Falls
downstream to upper trestle (about 3 miles).
• No angling from a floating device.
• Sherars Falls downstream to Buck Hollow Creek (about 1 mile) closed to angling
April 1-July 31.
2. Northern boundary of the Warm
Springs Reservation upstream to
Pelton Regulating Dam (Wasco/
Jefferson Co.)
• See Special Regulations for Warm Springs Reservation at end of this zone.
• Open for coho salmon Aug. 1-Dec. 31.
• Open to trout April 28-Oct. 31.
• 2 rainbow trout per day, 10-inch minimum and 13-inch maximum length.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead April 28-Dec. 31.
• No angling from a floating device.
• Restricted to artificial flies and lures.
• Closed from Pelton Regulating Dam downstream about 600 feet to ODFW markers.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:28 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

So it sounds like lower Deschutes has better wading water? Warm Springs to the mouth? Is there any way someone could help me narrow down over 100 miles of river? I'm looking for good stretchs .25-3 miles in length and if I kind find several of these stretchs of wadable water close to one another like within 20-30 miles that would be perfect perfect perfect. We'll be camping a couple nights and then hopefully we can fish right where we're camped or drive just a few minutes to get to some spots.

Interesting about the river not permitting fishing from the boat. I did notice in my other findings, photos, and videos that anglers were posed with fish right next to their beached boats. Makes sense now!

Thanks for all the great info. I think I may look into those BLM maps.

Alex

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

By the way, we will not be using any watercraft whatsoever to navigate the river and we'll be targeting trout.

So excited, I live in Colorado and get out to Portland once a year and fish there only half the visits I take. So what I'm saying is don't be afraid to share the honey holes. I release all the fish I catch and I'm only fishing Oregon once every couple years! Thanks.

Alex
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM

injun is on a distinguished road

My name is Casey and I am the owner/op of Tiluiite Injun Guides located here in Warm springs , I guide the 23 miles of the Lower Deschutes bordering the warm springs Reservation , accesible via vehicle or drifting . I own property on the bank of the deschutes as well. It is located across from Mecca , plenty of room for RV or camping. Camp out for a couple of days in teepees or tents and we can access a lot of prime holding water from there.If you are interested feel free to call me at 541-325-2147 or email me at kcrgreen@netzero.net
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM

Question Re: Good Wade Fishing on Deschutes?

A member of the 'Tribe?' (No disrespect meant with the choice of word.)

If so, you have access to water/beach that can't be touched otherwise. First Deschutes trip 'on your side of the river' and it was OFF THE WALL good.
fae
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 AM

injun is on a distinguished road

Yes I am a tribal member Thank You, just some Native humor, and yes we do have some exceptional waters to fish for rainbow,and redside trout as well as summer and winter steelhead. I am happy to hear you agree and that you enjoyed our little peace of heaven.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Thumbs up Re: Good Wade Fishing on Deschutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun View Post
Yes I am a tribal member Thank You, just some Native humor, and yes we do have some exceptional waters to fish for rainbow,and redside trout as well as summer and winter steelhead. I am happy to hear you agree and that you enjoyed our little peace of heaven.
Was my first trip to the Deschutes and our Guide, the only member of the Tribe at that time to Guide (think that's right) was an exceptional Fellow. The second in the boat, or rather the first as I was the 'out of towner,' was your Tribe Treasurer. Think that's an appropriate way of saying same.

'Ex-USDA mortgage lender here in the Rogue Valley. A total delight to know, business wise or no. DB put in the middle of nowhere, out several hours in even a more remote place on the bank down stream.

Enjoyed the whole thing emencily (sp?); and water that 'Non-Tribal' will ever see or get to fish? Far easier to fish (if you're a stumble-bum like me) that 'the other side!'

I wish you the very best and what section do you usually fish? Ask as BLM has an excellent river map for a location guide.

Fred

Side Bar: You may also want to register/post/be a Sponsor on the SpeyPages web board. Very high client possibilities?
fae

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun View Post
My name is Casey and I am the owner/op of Tiluiite Injun Guides located here in Warm springs , I guide the 23 miles of the Lower Deschutes bordering the warm springs Reservation , accessible via vehicle or drifting . I own property on the bank of the deschutes as well. It is located across from Mecca , plenty of room for RV or camping. Camp out for a couple of days in teepees or tents and we can access a lot of prime holding water from there.If you are interested feel free to call me at 541-325-2147 or email me at kcrgreen@netzero.net
Wanted to 'kick this back up to the top.'

fae