The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Considering a trip to Oregon....

In the mid Spring time frame(beore I go back to work), I have a cousin that lives in Portland.
Anyone able to give me any info on the "Big Sandy" or the "Grand Ronde"? It would be greatly appreciated.
Would love to get into some Steelies or Springers, I sure wish my cousin fished.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Considering a trip to Oregon....

Hi fyshstykr,

I don't know about the Grand Ronde but the Sandy close to Portland is big water that is best fished with a boat. You can drive a good distance from Portland and it is easier to fish. If you really want a chance at a Steelhead you need a guide. I would give Kaufmann's Streamborn a call. Better yet I would pay them a visit. You will find a great fly shop and people with lots of experience and knowledge. I am sure they can put you onto some fish.

Being this close I would get a guided trip on the Deschutes River. You can also drive to Maupin and fish the Deschutes without a guide. Kaufmann's will know where the hot spots are at the time you are there. There are also a couple of rivers across the Columbia in Washington that are close to Portland.

Frank

Kaufmann’s Streamborn, Inc
11960 SW Pacific Highway
Tigard, OR 97223
503-639-6400