The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 PM

goldeneye is on a distinguished road
Default Information about Klootchy Creek Park.

Hello all,

I'm looking for some general information about Klootchy Creek Park near Seaside. I will be visiting Seaside and Cannon Beach during March for Spring Break and would like to do some fly fishing while visiting from Arkansas. I've read on the park website that the season will be open and that there is public access. My main question really is, is this place worth trying out for a day or should I look into something else?

I appreciate any feedback,

Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Information about Klootchy Creek Park.

Hello,

I have never heard any of the members here talk about the area you mention. If you have until next March to get this figured out you should consider becoming an active member here and post often. By participating in discussions and showing up frequently on the forum you will get to know which members live near the area in question. Once people feel that they sort of know you some information may be forthcoming.

At any rate welcome to the forum, I hope you'll take the time to look around all the various sub forums and threads. Please feel free to join in any discussion be it current or one you find while searching through the threads.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

The park is best known for once having the largest Sitka Spruce tree in the world. I fished for stocked trout, in the small coastal stream that runs through the park, off the bridge as a kid, when my family vacationed in Seaside. Thankfully, the river is no longer stocked with trout, but does have runs of cutthroat, Salmon and Steelhead. The time of year you will be there is when the wild steelhead make their spawning run in most of Oregon's north coast streams. This is a catch and release fishery and there are not alot of them. However, they are magnificent fish and a thrill to hook on a swung fly. The park is a good place to access the river and there are other points along Hwy 26 as well. The problem is that the Steelhead enter these rivers ripe to spawn. The park is in the upper portion of this river and many fish will be paired up and on their redd. I personally, consider it unethical to cast to them. I have seen youtube videos of flyfishers sight fishing to them with weighted flies, and to the uneducated, it may look cool. However, in my opinion, it is disgusting and wrong. I recommend looking for access on the lower river or other larger streams.

Last edited by dillon; 09-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There ya go

Great post Dillon, thank you. I didn't know who would know about the area but now I do.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2012, 01:53 PM

goldeneye is on a distinguished road

Exactly what I needed to know. I visited the park some 20 years ago and couldn't remember if fishing was allowed or not. I'll probably stick to clamming on the beach or fishing closer to the coast. I know my trip is a long ways off, but I'm notorious for having a plan.

Thanks,

C