The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kenai River Late Run Sockeye

So far it looks like the late run of sockeye on the Kenai is looking pretty good (as of July 20 the sonar counted 466,900.
Click the image to open in full size.

Even I could probably catch a few at that rate! LOL!

Larry
Old 07-31-2010, 02:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kenai River Late Run Sockeye

God it's been years since I've (well, actually been to Alaska for that matter) but these puppies were THE TARGET. Only time/place in my life that I got so tired I had to put the rod down and give myself a physical break.

fae
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

The Kenai had a late push this year for sockeye, but the fishing wasnt spectacular on the upper Kenai/Russian. The fish were late and quite blushed by the time they finally got upriver. Kings had issues and it was a strange year with the amount of rainfall we experienced.
During this time I was hanging at the Newhalen that was experiencing the end of season numbers experienced on the Kenai in a SINGLE DAY. With a handfull of fishers that are easily outnumbered by bears. The sockeye migration in Bristol Bay is only something to be experienced because words cannot due it justice.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:34 AM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

Looking good for 2011 if one looks at the ADF&G Fishing Forecast, should be one of the top five years for salmon returns in the state. Hopefully this will translate into significant opportunity for the sport anglers as well. Of course as with many things it is all about location and timing!

Paul

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips
Old 03-26-2011, 11:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Have a link to that Paul?

fae
Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Another trip on the Bucket List Larry. Thanks.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Another trip on the Bucket List Larry. Thanks.
Yat: If you ever get serious about fishing the Kenai for Sockeye give me a shout and I will give you all the details for a low budget trip, but the real issue is hitting the salmon run perfectly, if you can time it right you can C&R big hard fighting salmon until you can't lift your arms.

Larry

Old 03-26-2011, 05:07 PM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Have a link to that Paul?

fae
Fred,

That info is from the ADF&G Commercial Forecast which pretty much gives one a good indication of what might happen in river at some point, and while not always dead on they do a pretty good job. You can find this at their site at Alaska -Statewide Commercial Salmon Harvest Forecast for 2011, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Paul

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips