The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM

mdogs444 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to go in OR or WA?

A buddy and me are looking to take a trip out west for the spring (Feb-Mar) steelhead run. We currently live in Ohio (steelhead alley area) and have never been out to the PNW for steels. From what I've read, the olympia peninsula near Forks is a good destination, but I don't know much about the area, the rivers, or any cabin rentals/lodging.

Would anyone be able to provide any insight for this vacation?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:06 PM

jporter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to go in OR or WA?

You may look at somewhere like Tillamook, OR, you'd have the Trask and Wilson River. Both are close to town with hotels but great steelhead rivers. You might also just watch the fish reports and go were they’re running Feb-Mar isn’t a high traffic time of year for vacationers.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

Forks would be a great base. There are many rivers to choose from. A guide would be well worth it. A lot depends on the river flows and number of fish returning. You don't have to plan much else until you get here.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Months mentioned are the height of the Winter fishing on the upper Rogue River. Tonne of public access; if you decide to come this way I'll tell you 'what rock' to stand on.

Can't assure there will fish in front of you, but you'll know about access. Do I sound like a hero/big mouth? Not in the least. The upper Rogue has close to 60 miles of river and the fishing pressure (there are a few exceptions) is light especially during the week. No one will even know you're there.

Last out/spots I saw a grand total of three other fishermen.
imxer, cw76 and ontheflyguide like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

These guys have always been helpful....

The Caddis Fly Angling Shop

...I'd give em a call

-Mike
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Months mentioned are the height of the Winter fishing on the upper Rogue River. Tonne of public access; if you decide to come this way I'll tell you 'what rock' to stand on.

Can't assure there will fish in front of you, but you'll know about access. Do I sound like a hero/big mouth? Not in the least. The upper Rogue has close to 60 miles of river and the fishing pressure (there are a few exceptions) is light especially during the week. No one will even know you're there.

Last out/spots I saw a grand total of three other fishermen.
Although this is old, I have to Agree with Fred, the Rogue offers a ton to fly fishermen during these months!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
These guys have always been helpful....

The Caddis Fly Angling Shop

...I'd give em a call

-Mike
Interesting you should bring up the Caddis Fly shop. Amazing how many of their 'sales' I've forwarded on to the UK. If an item is on sale there, it's usually a hell of a god deal.
fae
Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

If you're headed out to Forks (I was just there in February), check out Rain Coast Guides. Took a trip with Jim and it was the best guided trip I've ever taken. Definitely worth a shot. Plus the rivers around Forks are incredible. I can't wait to go back! But it might ruin Great Lakes steelheading for you, at least a little bit...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 AM

hollyglen is on a distinguished road
Default Any info on Cedar River around downtown Renton?

I would rather stay as far from Boeing( & Lk Wash.) as possible, there is so much water running the cedar that I could fish there everyday if I had any idea of what to do or where to do it.

I would like to head out for it this weekend,

Thanks All
Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 PM

If memory serves, right under the Library. Not kidding. That's one of the problems with Urban rivers, very little in the way of public access. But here's were Google Earth can be a God Send.

Have a King County map in front of you and do a trip up the river. Mark what appears to be 'public,' or at least accessible to the public, and mark with a highlighter.

fae

Edit: Forgot to add. GE has a setting where it gives you the coordinates. Mark these down and punch them into your GPS. You'll drive (close any way) right to the place.