The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about
Default Are there some fly fihing spots near highway No. 1?

Hello Fly Fishing Friends,

In 2014 me and my wife are going to do our next trip in the USA and we will drive from San Francisco to Seattle middle of May.

This is our third tour of our "honeymoon trip" which we started in 2010 when we got married (after 20 years of qualifying period ). At that time we decided to do our honeymoon trip in the USA and we also decided that we never will finish it. So we did the first trip from Great Falls in Montana down to Arizona. Then we moved to the west to Las Vegas, where we spent some days.
This year we did the second trip and we started in Las Vegas and we drove down to the Mexican border. After we followed the Highway no. 1 up to San Francisco. We will continue that trip every second year and so we want to do our next trip in 2014. Here we start at the end of the last trip in San Francisco.

I know that it is already very soon, but I have also fun with the planning of that trip and so I would liek to ask you, if you could give me some recommendations for some good fly fishing locations close to the Highway no. 1 on our way to Seattle.

I would be pleased if I could find a good place with your help and I also say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT in advance!!

THORSTEN
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are there some fly fihing spots near highway No. 1?

I'd have to think about the fishing up there in May...but if this is a honeymoon trip, you might consider parking here a couple of nights...

Welcome to Benbow - Eureka California Hotel - the Benbow Inn in Garberville and Humboldt County redwood country

My wife and I have been there several times since the mid 70's and enjoy it every time. It's approx 4 hrs north of SF, and is perfect for a stay after driving up 1 thru Mendocino, etc as HWY 1 meets back up with US 101 just south of the Inn a few miles.

Good spot for bfast in Garberville, right on the main drag is the Eel River Cafe, about 15 minutes from the Inn.

Have fun! We always do...-Mike
thorsten likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for your tip! That hotel looks beautiful and it will be definitely on our list

THORSTEN
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Hey, you're welcome! When I'm headed up there, these are the guys I call for advice. Good guys...if you contact them, they'll steer you toward whatever is happening with the fish...sorry I forgot this in the 1st post.

Eureka Fly Shop
Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Thorsten,

Since the ocean will be directly on your left for most of the drive, surf fishing would be a great way to enjoy the beach and fly fishing at the same time.

A good friend turned me onto fly fishing the surf about five years ago, and I absolutely love it. While there will occasionally be rivers and lakes near where you are travelling, the coast will be right there next to you the entire time. It is a free and endless resource.

A great book on the subject is Ken Hanley's "Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone"
Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone: Ken Hanley: 9781571881779: Amazon.com: Books Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone: Ken Hanley: 9781571881779: Amazon.com: Books

It is a quick read and has all the information you need to get started. It has specific information for fly fishing the Pacific Coast through California, Oregon, and Washington.

I would recommend an 8-wt. rod with a 300-grain sinking line, a stripping basket, and flies that imitate sand crabs or other small crustaceans, or small baitfish patterns. A short leader of 4-6 feet of 10-lb. mono or fluorocarbon will do the trick.

Cheers,

-VB