The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default I swear the State of Washington changes their fishing regs. on a daily basis.

Seriously, I get (roughly) one of these per week.

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

April 9, 2013

Anglers limited to 1 salmon per day in San Juan Islands

OLYMPIA - Starting Friday (April 12), anglers fishing the San Juan Islands (Marine Area 7) will be limited to one salmon per day.

State fishery managers approved the new limit - down from two fish per day - after determining that the number of chinook salmon kept or released has exceeded pre-season projections.

"Fishing picked up in late December and held steady through the remainder of the winter fishery," said Ryan Lothrop, a fish biologist for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). "After reviewing the catch estimates, it was clear we needed to take action to control the fishery's impacts on stocks of concern."

Anglers fishing in Marine Area 7 must release any chinook not specifically marked with a clipped adipose fin as a hatchery fish. However, since some released wild chinook do not survive, they are counted toward the management guideline of 4,284 total encounters with legal-size chinook during the fishery.

According to preliminary estimates, anglers had kept or released 4,976 chinook in Marine Area 7 as of April 7.

Lothrop reminds anglers that Bellingham Bay remains closed to salmon fishing.

The new catch limit will ensure compliance with conservation objectives and state-tribal management plans in Puget Sound, said Lothrop. WDFW will continue to monitor the fishery in Marine Area 7 through April 30, when it is scheduled to close.

Anglers should check for updates on WDFW's Fishing Hotline (360-902-2500) or the department's website at Fishing and Shellfishing Regulations & Seasons | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife .

This message has been sent to the WDFW Regulatory Information mailing list.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 PM

wichaka is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I swear the State of Washington changes their fishing regs. on a daily basis.

I wish they would allow the trout streams to be open sooner and longer.

Hard to look at threads about others being able to fish year 'round! UGH!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I swear the State of Washington changes their fishing regs. on a daily basis.

So hear you Mr. W. Good thing about the Rogue being on my door step is fishing is 'open' year around. Just a question of what you can legally fish for at the moment.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Do they base these changes on weekly salmon #'s or is it just random?

Either way it would be annoying to keep track of but doubly so if the changes don't serve a purpose. I rarely ever harvest a fish but if I'm going to I triple check regs. They seem simple until you start seeing all the exceptions for seasons or particular bodies of water.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You'll get used to it Fred, we have what F&G calls Emergency Orders here that can be changing daily also. In order to be abreast of the current regulations those who are in the groove check the EO's every day before heading out.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Do they base these changes on weekly salmon #'s or is it just random?

Either way it would be annoying to keep track of but doubly so if the changes don't serve a purpose. I rarely ever harvest a fish but if I'm going to I triple check regs. They seem simple until you start seeing all the exceptions for seasons or particular bodies of water.
Don't know what the criteria may be, but there has to be a lot of 'Sophisticated Wild Ass Guessing' going on.