The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By mikel
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By submariner
  • 2 Post By ontheflyguide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default best part of Oregon fishing

Just got home from a week on some wonderful water in Oregon. Two things really stuck out for me...

1. no fishermen...we saw no other anglers for 3 days on the NFMF Willy, MF Willy and SF McKenzie. No one in the beautiful campgrounds either. If you're from Kalifornia, this is a bit of a mind blower.

2. NO TRASH...no mono gobs, worm boxes, PB jars, used diapers or single flip flops...I mean for 3 days....not one bit of litter. It was like heaven must be.

On the N Umpqua there were other anglers and a bit of rubbish and some busier camping areas, but it was also the weekend and it draws a lot of folks. Even so, the cleanliness and lack of rubbish ON THE STREAM was remarkable.

We put all the fish back healthy as possible and left no mark ourselves, so we tried to do our part.

-Mike
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best part of Oregon fishing

Mike, you've just described why I love living in Southern Oregon. Population wise there's about 3.8 million, 2/3's of that live along the I-5 corridor north of Eugene. South of that you have only three population centers (Roseburg, Grants Pass and Medford). Other side of the Hill there's Klamath Falls, well, depending upon where you want to draw the east-line you could add Bend.

Save for the odd 'popular place' (read that drive up and turn off the engine=Denmon Bar=Hatchery Hole) fairly rare to see/compete for beach space here on the Rogue.

Fred

Edit: Forgot to add ... if you want to 'camp' on the North Umpqua BLM's Susan Creek is the hands down winner. Other good ones, but this place is a stand alone as the 'best of the best.' You even have hot showers!

s
ontheflyguide likes this.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Just got home from a week on some wonderful water in Oregon. Two things really stuck out for me...

1. no fishermen...we saw no other anglers for 3 days on the NFMF Willy, MF Willy and SF McKenzie. No one in the beautiful campgrounds either. If you're from Kalifornia, this is a bit of a mind blower.

2. NO TRASH...no mono gobs, worm boxes, PB jars, used diapers or single flip flops...I mean for 3 days....not one bit of litter. It was like heaven must be.

On the N Umpqua there were other anglers and a bit of rubbish and some busier camping areas, but it was also the weekend and it draws a lot of folks. Even so, the cleanliness and lack of rubbish ON THE STREAM was remarkable.

We put all the fish back healthy as possible and left no mark ourselves, so we tried to do our part.

-Mike
Mike, that is great to hear. We usually have a pretty respectful bunch here in Wyoming, but the other day when I was out looking for my lost dog I was hitting all the campgrounds above the Warren Bridge access to the Green River (just north of Pinedale, WY), there was a young couple with two kids camped at campground #1, I stopped and gave them a flyer, they seemed like really nice folks. The next day I was out again hitting all the campgrounds and when I stopped at that campground it was littered with trash, had two bowls on the picnic table with half eaten pasta. I picked everything up, but was really surprised to see all the trash one family left behind and how messy they had left the campground in.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Fred...I almost made a move to Roseburg a while back and fear I'll always regret not going...20,000 people, all the conveniences you need, an hour to Eugene for the Ducks games and "college town" stuff and only a 9 hr drive to the Bay Area for visiting friends left behind. oooh, and Umpqua Ice Cream

Larry...sounds like Californians on vacation. Sorry...I live in the midst of pigs like this. I don't carry a ziploc in my vest any more....it's a trash bag.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fred...I almost made a move to Roseburg a while back and fear I'll always regret not going...20,000 people, all the conveniences you need, an hour to Eugene for the Ducks games and "college town" stuff and only a 9 hr drive to the Bay Area for visiting friends left behind. oooh, and Umpqua Ice Cream

Larry...sounds like Californians on vacation. Sorry...I live in the midst of pigs like this. I don't carry a ziploc in my vest any more....it's a trash bag.
Mike: Unfortunately, that family had Wyoming plates, but they could still be transplants from CA or somewhere else. Disheartening to say the least.

Fred: We only have around 450,000 in the whole state, that is one thing I like about Wyoming! It's definitely not crowded, but then some of the conveniences are harder to come by also. A couple weeks ago while fishing with Chase and Rod I thought the river was crowded when I saw six other boats the whole day, most days it was 2-3.
fredaevans likes this.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 AM

submariner is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: best part of Oregon fishing

Best part about Oregon is so many National Forest that anyone can access for nothing.

Streams that may be only 6' wide, but find a hole or a swirl behind a boulder and it will produce a Cutthroat, Brook, or a Rainbow almost any day if you are paying attention to what is in/on the river banks.

It seems like I always catch something, may be 15" or 3" but with a light line it is always fun.
ontheflyguide likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hear you Mike. Trip to the river and didn't even pull the rod off the Jeep. Sandy and I found (knew where) small sand beach and just laid down and took a nap. Rain woke us up, flooped out in the back of the Jeep Liberty and went back to sleep. Short time before Fuzz Ball was knudging me.

Back home and "To Sleep, to perchance to dream ..." 1426 and time for more 'zero time.'
I had no idea I was that physically/emotionally burned out.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Quote:

-Mike
Nice Mike, I believe Southern Oregon is one of the greatest parts of the state!
fredaevans and jbird like this.