The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 AM

submariner is on a distinguished road
Cool Scouting trip,I am looking for a fishing and camping spot around Bend? 75 miles

I am going to throw a wide loop this weekend for a scouting trip.

Going over to the Bend area this weekend to look for a campground and do some fishing, any suggestions? Up in the Cascade Mountains and in the Deschutes National Forest.

I got a eye on a little pond south of Sister, Or called 3 Creeks Lake. Does anybody know of this lake.

I am also going to Jackson Kimball State Park, Just to see what is going on there and to see if there is some fishing up there.

I am going to drive down Sun Mountain Rd. to Hwy 97 just to check it out. I was told Sun Mountain Rd was the original Hwy 97 way back when. So I want to see some historical rd. and see if there is any fish up there.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM

submariner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scouting trip,I am looking for a fishing and camping spot around Bend? 75 miles

well I made the scouting trip, found a few places to fish and camp.

Twin lakes is pretty good, nice resort and has 3 of the cabellas fish in it.

Cultus lake seems to be a nice FS campground. and looks like there is some good fishing in the lake.

Not far from there is a place to walk down dechutes river north of Crane Reservior on hwy 40 where you can catch brooks and rainbows.

Three creeks lake looks like it will be good in about 2 weeks once the mosquitos are gone. it is south of sisters, or

I will let you know when and if I get back over there to see if I catch anything
Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Scouting trip,I am looking for a fishing and camping spot around Bend? 75 miles

Good reads, keep them coming.

Fred
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scouting trip,I am looking for a fishing and camping spot around Bend? 75 miles

I don't know much about the area, but I do know that Denny Rickards conducts stillwater clinics on Diamond Lake, which is just north of Crater Lake NP, so I'm guessing there is some good fishing there as Denny is a trophy trout stillwater expert.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I don't know much about the area, but I do know that Denny Rickards conducts stillwater clinics on Diamond Lake, which is just north of Crater Lake NP, so I'm guessing there is some good fishing there as Denny is a trophy trout stillwater expert.
Sooo yes for fishing Diamond Lake. State of Oregon takes VERY good care of this body of water. Lots of tent/cabin spots right next (just off) the Lake. Last estimate (and this is a pretty good sized lake, but not huge) there were (from today's State fishing report) "300,000 catchable trout up to 10 pounds."

DL is about 60 miles (memory here only) east of Roseburg, Oregon and freezes up every winter (you can fish through the ice, but I wouldn't). Ice out and its a great place to use a float tube, boat, etc. I think the normal trout limit is five fish, here it's eight.

Edit: Several years back the lake got over run with Tue Chubs (what ever the heck they are, or how they got there) and Rotoned the entire lake and killed everything. Couple of years rest (lake is snow feed) and restocked with fingerlings. Without competition they grew close to an inch per month.