The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By submariner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM

submariner is on a distinguished road
Default fishing on the rogue river

Well last night I stopped on the Rogue River just down stream from Lost Creek Dam. in 45 minutes I pulled in two nice 12" rainbows. just enogh for supper.

i seen a couple of big salmon/steelhead jump in hte river had to be 24 to 30" long. made one big splash. I am glad I did not hook on to one oof them with my 5 wg line/pole.
MoscaPescador and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fishing on the rogue river

Holy Water or in the main river? Odd part is I've fished the upper Rogue since 1995 and, save for the odd Steelhead or Salmon smolt, I've never hooked a 'real trout' in all those years.

Sorry for this mornings 'Scare the Hell you (and co-worker). For context, not feeling all that well the past several days and the long drive (well, long for me) up to Butte Falls and the drive sapped everything I had out of me.

Damned near collapsed in their Office. Big glasses of water and feeding me candy bars. Apparently my 'I need to sit down' was a gross understatement. Sounds like my skin colouring just faded away .....

You want info on fishing small waters in Southern Oregon, "Sub' IS your guy."
Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Cool Re: fishing on the rogue river

Stopped down on the Rogue last night on the way home. waded out to a rock bar, dam the water was cold. While out there, a light colored bug was flying around and landing on the water and being hit right off.

I started with a littl cream colored fly and had some good hits and was catching my fair share. probable caught about 10 in an hour and they were 8-10".

I was having some fun until I hooked onto a good size one and as luck would have it the rocks i was standing on or I should say trying to stand on were slick and I fell ass deep in the water and of course at the same time, I gave a little slack in the line and it spit the hook.

of course it came back at me and hit me in the nose and stuck. so here I am sitting butt deep in cold ass water with a fly stuck in my nose and I am LOL trying to get my butt out of the water.

Fun times......right. and I lost the fish.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

think about some cleats

at least you see the humor...personally, I can fall if I don't have cleats and a staff in the bathtub, but I generally let out a chuckle when it happens. The trick is in not breaking a rod tip in the midst of it all. Keep having fun...
Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
Stopped down on the Rogue last night on the way home. waded out to a rock bar, dam the water was cold. While out there, a light colored bug was flying around and landing on the water and being hit right off.

I started with a littl cream colored fly and had some good hits and was catching my fair share. probable caught about 10 in an hour and they were 8-10".

I was having some fun until I hooked onto a good size one and as luck would have it the rocks i was standing on or I should say trying to stand on were slick and I fell ass deep in the water and of course at the same time, I gave a little slack in the line and it spit the hook.

of course it came back at me and hit me in the nose and stuck. so here I am sitting butt deep in cold ass water with a fly stuck in my nose and I am LOL trying to get my butt out of the water.

Fun times......right. and I lost the fish.
Only time today I've had reason to laugh. Wait till you fish the fly only section of the North Umpqua.

Some of you Folks will be privlidged to meet 'Sub;' one of Oregon's true out door's-man. And he even looks the part.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM

Went out again last night to fish the Rogue about 1/2 mile below the dam. Turn off Hwy 62 and head toward the dam. I parked at the McGragor Park and walked up river to the first bend. the park has very good trails to walk. You can fish both sides of the river, the state has set up a good way to get to the river to fish.

There is usually a lot of fishermen looking for salmon or steelhead in this area. last night ai had it to myself.

I hit payload, a fly-fisherman's dream, right at the tall water of a good size riffles, the trout were hitting a cream color flies that was landing on the water. Don't know what kind of fly it was but but I had one like it or close enough. And I started catching trout. 6" to 11"s. had a hit about every 4 cast.

In about 2 hours of just plain down right fun, I probable landed 30 fish. Some were rainbows, some were brooks, and some were steelhead. All about the same size. I fished until my feet were numb because i was standing knee deep in water. The sun was getting low on the horizon and I was needing a drink and some supper so I called it quits.

It was a real good time, to bad the fish were not a litttle bigger but was still a hoot.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM

I have no doubt of Sub's story. I just can't (wrong gear) catch one of the darned things.

ARRRRRGGGGGGGG!