The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Which of these 3 States?

I am in the Southwest currently and misplaced here from the Upper Midwest! I drastically miss my four season, my quality and variety of fishing and waterfowl hunting. There are three states right now that I am contemplating for a potential move (four actually, but the fiance has ruled out going back to the upper midwest) and each location MUST have variety and quality in terms of fishing.

I do enjoy Trout fishing, however, it is number 4, 5 or 6 on the list. I LOVE pursuing Smallmouth, Pike, Muskie, Kings and Steelhead and I LOVE winter fishing. I know each location will not offer all of these species and I am OK with that. If I had to narrow it down to two of these species, as I know Trout will be readily available in all three locations, it would have to be Smallmouth and Steelhead.

The three areas that we are looking into are central Colorado, central Oregon or western Montana. All three locations seem to be very similar in terms of what we are looking for (hiking, biking, camping, four seasons, etc.). Based on fishing alone, what do you all have to add?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM

submariner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which of these 3 States?

I live in oregon now but Montana would be my bet.

I was at 6000' elevation I loved it there but the air missed the oxygen content that my body craved.

Elevation will kill you if you cannot adjust to it.

I could not. had to leave the mountains after 2 years

Also montana has a very short summer
Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"... it would have to be Smallmouth and Steelhead."

Roseburg, Oregon if the above is a critera. Umpqua river runs right through town and has both summer winter steelhead and Salmon. The main stem of the river is crawling with bass during the summer. One of the best bass fisheries in the State.

One other 'good thing' about Oregon is no sales tax. We do have a small state income tax, but minor compared to other states.

Roseburg's right on I-5 so upwards of a two hour drive gets you to the Rogue at Grants Pass, etc.

Last edited by fredaevans; 08-16-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Add 'Salmon.'
Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Steelhead.. sort of narrows your choices.. lol

Idaho has some good Steelhead... but not on your list..

I'd look at South Western Washington
Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Which of these 3 States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Steelhead.. sort of narrows your choices.. lol

I'd look at South Western Washington
Place is over run with people and fishing pressure!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

Oregon was also on our short list when moving West as well as Washington. Seems like an awesome state. However, I would respectfully disagree with Fred on the income tax. Oregon is third highest in the nation from the reading I have done. Depending on your tax bracket or what your line of work is that can be a pretty substantial factor.

That being said we abandoned the tax haven of New Hampshire for MT income tax. Painful at first but worth every penny.

Having two steelhead runs per year would probably quickly erase any tax pain though.

Last edited by swampdonkey; 08-16-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM

dead drift is on a distinguished road
Default Which of these 3 States?

Can't speak for other than Colorado... tons of lakes and rivers here as well as RMNP.

You'll get the 4 seasons for sure... as well as 300 or so sunny days

My vote would be Co.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

If trout are 4-5 or 6 on your fish species list, then Montana is not your place. Very little by of bass, muskie, etc unless you want to live on Fort Peck.

Can't speak for Colorado, but they are even further from the anadromous fish you seek.

Sounds like Oregon is your place.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Colorado I like, but damn expensive and crawling with people. I have a buddy who back country bowhunts Elk every year in Colorado and he constantly runs into non-hunting hikers, bikers, etc. 8, 10, 12, 15 miles in from any road!

Montana would be awesome and I know there are some of those warm water species around, just not a ton. The winters do not bother me. In fact, winter is probably my favorite time of year.

I like both Largemouth and Smallmouth, but Smallies in a river are the deal for me! Steelhead, well, they speak for themselves! Kings would be a great bonus as would the nice Trout. I guess the only thing Oregon is missing for me is Esox! However, being able to go slam some nice Smallies and two days later fish to Steelhead, not sure if I can beat that!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

We have all that in Michigan's U.P., and very few decent jobs available depending on what you do.