The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/)
-   -   First steelhead experience (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/333844-first-steelhead-experience.html)

fatfinn 10-09-2013 12:43 PM

First steelhead experience

Hi,

I've just moved to U.S. and may get 2-3 vacation days to spend long weekend for fishing. Steelhead is something that has been on my mind for some years and this autumn it might happen. Late November would work and as a single guy over thanksgiving weekend also.

I would be looking for some advice from you more experienced anglers in your home turf for best places. For a 2-3 day fishing time easy access would be prefered important. I would be flying out of Charlotte.

I'm not afraid of cold weather and can cast with two handed rods, even though not much experience with skagit, rather scandi style.

Should I book a guide for the whole time or just first day?

Looking forward to some helpfull info
Paavo

jpbfly 10-09-2013 12:48 PM

Re: First steelhead experience

:welcomean Paavo.Lots of helpful members here ....so you should get some good infos;)

ghocevar 10-09-2013 02:35 PM

Welcome! If you head up to Cleveland, give Dan or Pete from Chagrin River Outfitters a call. They are some of the best in the area.

fatfinn 10-11-2013 12:12 PM

Thank you for the comments. Actually Great Lakes are probably would not be that bad. It's only about 8h driving distance for me. What would be the best time to avoid the crowds, but still to have a chance to catch soem fish?

ghocevar 10-13-2013 05:20 PM

There are some fish in the rivers now with more the closer to Erie PA you get (from Cleveland).
The crowds will most likely be minimal during the middle of the week, Tuesday or Wednesday, but as the season winds up you are going to run into people whenever you go.

gatortransplant 10-13-2013 08:57 PM

Paavo, welcome! Greg is right, Chagrin River Outfitters is a great place with some very knowledgable guides! The Buffalo area is surrounded by many nice waters with a lot of options (pocket water, long swinging runs, nymphing water, everything in between). Especially this time of year with the Great Lakes creeks being lower and clear, Scandi will be just fine. You don't need to be pitching big and heavy flies right now, as the fish have been finicky at best.

The problem with Thanksgiving weekend is that many people go fishing with their family. It usually ends up pretty busy, with students home from university fishing with their family members and friends. There are fish from now and well into the new year.

As far as a guide goes, a guide the first day isn't a bad choice. If you're coming to the Buffalo area, and don't want to get a guide, I'll happily go fishing with you! I'm no guide, but I love sharing the water with like-minded people, and I find fish from time to time.

And while Greg and I are partial to lake-run fish, don't forget about their relatives from the West Coast that actually see the salt! If you get the opportunity, head out to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. Winter steelhead are not easy to come by, but I've been obsessed ever since I first soaked a fly out there. Our fish are still plenty of fun, but the views there are amazing on top of the fish being incredible.

Hope this helps!

fatfinn 10-17-2013 08:10 AM

Thank you for the advice!

Unfortunately at the moment my day offs are very limited and have to try to get most out of them. Also, most of my fishing gear is still somewhere over the Atlantic ...

The Northwest steelhead definitely is on my mind, and hopefully can get that done next year.

I did get in touch with the Chagrin River outfitters and booked a guide for Wednesday before the Thanksgiving. I hope that way I can get at least two fairly full days of fishing done. And don't get me wrong I'm not completely anti-social and know that there will be others at the river also. For me fishing is a social event, but too much is too much.

Appreciate your comments gents! A.J. if I'll plan to venture towards Buffalo I'll let you know.

Paavo