The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Xmas fishing in Seattle, WA

This Christmas we are bound to the NW area, being only there once for a running event 5 years ago. I have no clue of where to go to fish for trouts, salmon, etc.

I will be staying in the downtown Seattle and the Bellevue area and probably will have 1 day to fish.

Any suggestion on where to go, what flies/gear to bring, and what to expect?
I am planning to bring my 6wt single hand and 5/6 switch rod with my rookie spey casting skill.
cheers.

Last edited by runningfish; 11-20-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Xmas fishing in Seattle, WA

No love for me?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
No love for me?
Calm down! You posted up at about 7:30 PM last night and its now 7:30 AM. Most folks were tucked in bed most of that time.

But to your question. As you only (apparently) have 1 day hire a guide. There are several rivers in the immediate (short drive) from both Seattle and Bellevue but killing half a day 'exploring' would waste a hell of a lot of your time.

Guide will also know where the likely places to fish (success) are likely to be. And that is 'gold' information.

Gear 'why's' most of these fellows don't use fly gear at this time of the year.

Fred

Edit: A 6wt at this time of the year will 'under-gun' you if they've had any significant rain fall.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 AM
mridenour

Quote:
No love for me?
Lots of love but no good advice. I haven't had the privilege of fishing that area...yet.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Hiring a guide will be a dead wish in my wife's ears and a double dead wish with the in laws. At this moment 1/2 day DIY fishing is all I have if the schedule stays the same. And considering the uncertainty nature of it, I won't be bringing the 6wt anymore and will just bring the switch 5/6.

Tough luck.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hiring a guide will be a dead wish in my wife's ears and a double dead wish with the in laws. At this moment 1/2 day DIY fishing is all I have if the schedule stays the same. And considering the uncertainty nature of it, I won't be bringing the 6wt anymore and will just bring the switch 5/6.

Tough luck.
Upper Snoqualmie (sp?) river right below the HUGE falls; toss in Tokel (sp?) creek that enters the river right below the falls. If the water's high, fish the creek. VERY HEAVY FLIES (chartreuse and white); almost a Tenkara fishing situation as this thing is only a few feet wide. Fish will be right at your feet. Here the 1hander is what you need.

At high water the fish will pull out of the main river and nose up into the creek. In the high flow situation, with a 6wt, you are waaaaaay under-gunned!

Been years since I've been in the area so someone feel free!