The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 PM

midgie hater is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to the NW E/SE of Portland this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Hear you. Load up your printer with paper ... you may be going through a lot of it .....

Fred
Thanks for the warning! I've had IT meltdown for several days and my printer cable is screwed anyway so it won't be a problem for a while. No doubt when the time comes I will have forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
Les,
Winter Steelhead begin entering the Sandy River with the first winter rains usually about the middle of December. The winter run winds down in March and a summer run of hatchery fish start entering. This fishery lasts until sometime in June for the spey rodder when the river warms and drops low. It then gets polluted with drinking rafters. The winter run consist of some wild fish and broodstock hatchery fish. The wild fish are ESA listed. Most of the walk in access for the spey angler is from Oxbow Park down and most of it is within the park. It is a big beautiful park with several nice runs. The river is easily floated from oxbow down giving access to much more water. Anglers may fish this water from a boat. Above the Oxbow boat ramp this is not allowed. The river above oxbow is much more technical requiring white water equipment and skills. Many guides both fly and gear offer floats on this section. Marmot dam was removed to provide more wild fish access to the upper river. Before the dam was removed hatchery winter fish were culled out there. The river gets alot smaller above the old dam site and access is limited. Although the Sandy has some trout it is not a good flyfishing trout stream in my opinion. Hatches are sparse, as they are on most west slope streams, and the fish are small and mostly salmoniod smolts. Most Portland area trout fishers head east of the cascades to Central Oregon. I hope this info helps... Let me know if you need any other general info...
~Jay
Hi Jay - great information. Thanks Yes I heard that the Winter runs would have started recently. Maybe I read that in the Williamette regs. guide. Can't remember at the moment.

Regarding Spey rods: Is that considered the only viable tool for catching Steelheads (and, I assume, Salmon too) on that part of the Sandy and perhaps elsewhere? I don't, despite living in Scotland, own a Spey rod - yet I'd hoped I would manage with my 9/10#

Interesting to hear about trout fishing on the Sandy - or should I say "disappointing" I read that a number of species were to be found but that's the first info. i've seen anywhere about hatches. Hmmm, I wonder why so sparse? Mind you, it appears to be quite a rocky river in many places and perhaps it doesn't run through very fertile areas in which case the available nutrients will be minimal and the knock-on effect on viable trout food significant? I'll try to find more. Pity though. What about the Clackamas? Is the trout fishing better there?

But yes thanks for all that information. Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Welcome to the forum Les.

Hopefully we can meet up in OR or WA as I am looking for a job in those states right now.
Hi and thanks Yes I hope so. Obviously hooking up (excuse the intentional pun) with like-minded enthusiasts - and people who actually know what they're doing on these rivers will be very welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello Les,

I think your intro was a good one! However, I am not in your new home area and so can't offer much in the way of help. Fred will no doubt get you sorted as well as possible and I wish you the very best in your new home.

Welcome to the forum

Ard
Thank you. Much appreciated Yes, Fred has been very helpful and generous with his knowledge, as has Jay too now.

Thank you all again. Look forward to interacting further very soon!

Les
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Hi Les,
Speaking of the winter steelhead run, the fish haven't shown up yet. The broad runs of the lower Sandy and Clackamas fish well with a spey rod because a large fly and sink tip line can be cast far enough to cover them well (60-100 ft.). That is hard to do with a single hand rod. Before the spey rod became popular here single handers were used. However, most were casting Teeney lines with 30ft. 450 grain tips in deep holding pools. It was hard to cast them any distance to swing the broad runs. A few fished with floating lines and heavy irons and long leaders to gain some depth. A single had rod might be best suited to the upper Sandy for dead drifting flies. The upper Clackamas is closed for winter steelhead.

Trout fishing is much the same on the Clackamas. Historically, both rivers were stocked with catchable rainbows. This has thankfully stopped in almost all oregon rivers. The upper Sandy and Clackamas and their tributaries are now managed for wild fish. Most of them don't grow over about ten inches. One should check the regs before fishing these watersheds as I believe some areas are closed to angling. The Central and Eastern Oregon streams are indeed more fertile than the west slope rivers. If, you like hiking and catching small trout the upper Clackamas watershed might be just your cup of tea.

I belong to the Oregon Fishing Club, which manages about 20 private stillwaters within a 90 min. drive of Portland. They keep them stocked with some nice fish and their are good chironimid hatches. They can also fish well with streamers. For about $400 a year this takes care of my local trout fishing in the spring and fall. I also like to spend time trout fishing in Idaho and Montana in the summer. About 10-12 hours of driving gets me to some great fishing...

~Jay
Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM

struvepdx is on a distinguished road

Hi Les,

Your fly rod will enjoy the Portland area...let's just start with that. As much as the focus on Fly Fishing in Oregon seems to be on Steelhead and Salmon, I prefer the smaller creeks and streams for the rainbow and brookies that lurk in them. One of the best places to fish for these are actually in the many creeks in the Columbia Gorge just outside the Portland vicinity. It is not uncommon to have a 25 plus catch day of native cut throats and rainbows in these little streams. The settings down in the lush vegetation makes it that much more special. There are also smaller lakes up above the Columbia Gorge that provide good fishing. If you head out towards the coast, there are numerous wonderful creeks that are packed with trout. All within a hour drive of town. Feel free to drop me a line when you role into town. More than happy to take you on a tour with my buddies and sons for some fishing. Until then....do a little rain dance for us. The fish need it!

Cheers and travel safe.
Brian
Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 PM

midgie hater is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the long absence and, as a result the late replies. Been working a lot and although i'm now on the "home-stretch" of the relocation/visa process there's still a little time to go as I'm awaiting an appointment at the US embassy in London to get the stamp before I can actually head over. I think I mentioned in my intro that it would be summer-time. That was me being cautious but it looks like that's about about right now.

Thanks again for the info. Jay and Brian.

Jay: I hope they eventually did make an appearance. I'll be trawling the forum again now so i'm sure i'll find out get your point about spey rods and distance-casting. At the beginning I think i'll try my 9/10# with a good forward-taper weight-forward line (intermediate or sink-tip) and see what happens. It has a fair bit of power and obviously a 9/10 line with the right kind of rod action can, with good casting (well, very average casting in my case!) go a reasonable distance. Having said that I saw a nice spey rod on Ebay which may do the business, so we'll see. Interesting to hear about the trout stillwaters in the vicinity of Portland too. That's something i'll definitely look into once i'm settled Thanks for the heads-up on the Upper Clackamas too. I'd read some stuff about that area and it did indeed talk about nice trout fishing in exchange for a bit of hiking effort - which suits me just fine!

Brian: that's great info. about the Columbia gorge streams and in fact the rest of the state too. As you might imagine, i've been looking at lots of maps of some of these feeder streams you mention and wondered if they would have healthy native trout populations, albeit I realise they might not be big fish - which doesn't bother me at all. Thanks for the offer as well. I'll be sure to drop you a line once i'm there and ready to travel and fish. Thanks very much Oh, and as for the rain - I realise this is out-of-date now, but you can have some of ours! Becky (my wife) told me it had been unseasonably dry back when I last posted, but also mentioned that this had changed in the last couple of months, so I hope fishing conditions have improved for you and all Oregon fishers. Since the trout season started here on March 15th, the weather has been mostly cold and windy in this part of Scotland, with the wind mostly coming from the east too. At this time of year that means significant wind-chill. result: relatively poor trout fishing conditions and "success". Folks in the west have fared a little better though. Looks like things are set to change a bit next week. Here's hoping.

Catch you all again soon