The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dillon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:23 AM

vette is on a distinguished road
Default oregon fly fishing info.

Hi fellow fly fisherman and ladies i'm planning a trip to Portland Oregon this summer and was hoping for some info on fly fishing this area . thanks for any help.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: oregon fly fishing info.

Most of the good summer flyfishing is in the Central Oregon high lakes and streams like the Deschutes and Metolious. The Clackamas and Sandy near Portland have hatchery summer steelhead runs. However, they fish best in spring and early summer before the splash and giggle crowd takes over.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Thanks dillon for the reply what about late august. I will be there to visit my daughter then and would really like to fish some rivers. also any fly suggestions.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:08 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

The Portland area rivers are pretty low and warm by then. It's the Deschutes for steelhead and the Metolius for trout might be good. The Metolius would be a nice two night trip. The river stays cold as it is spring fed. It flows through beautiful pine forests and is fly fishing only. It is a wild trout stream and they are tough. There is very nice lodging and great campgrounds in Camp Sherman area.
Fly Fishing | Westfly
Go to this site and hit trip planner for a hatch chart, more info and other options in August. Have fun...
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks dillon for the great information, very helpful . looking forward to fishing some new water. GOOD FISHING:
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default You will want to 'Bookmark' this web water flow web site.

USGS Current Conditions for Oregon_ Streamflow

The above will give you a good insight as to what to expect water flow wise on any 'moving water' in the State of Oregon. Over lay the weather forecast and you can get a pretty good idea what the water temperatures may be. Bummer is a lot of these used to report water temps and then you really knew what to expect.

Being you'll be in Portland other choices to consider are SW Washington streams. Many (Kalama, Toutle, etc.) are well less than 45 minutes up 'I-5' from your location. Day licenses in either State are reasonable and I think you can purchase on line (if you know what SPECIFIC day(s) you want to fish.

Fred

Edit: Here's Washington State http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/cu...p_key=basin_cd

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette View Post
Thanks dillon for the reply what about late august. I will be there to visit my daughter then and would really like to fish some rivers. also any fly suggestions.
Just registered to your time frame.

In Oregon 'late August' is a very good call for the lower Deschutes from Maupin down.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 PM

Thanks Fred all this info is very helpful, what flies would you suggest for these waters?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Fred all this info is very helpful, what flies would you suggest for these waters?
God, that's like asking 'What's your preferred hair colour on a beautiful woman.' (I like Redheads, don't ask!) But to your question: A lot of that has to do with amount of water flow and clarity of the water. Lots of variations there, but in your time frame expect 'low and clear.' (God do we need rain!!!!!!)

First you only need about a dozen flies in maybe four patterns, just three sizes from 'big to small.' Anything over that is BS as 99% of what most folks carry will never get wet. Six in bright colours (red, orange, etc.) and six in dark colours (black, dark green, etc).

Lots of cross talk on low/clear water as to where to start, and I have no idea whose 'opinion' is the most valid. Personally (bright water) I'll start with 'dark' early in the day, then move to 'bright' once the sun hits the water, then back to 'dark.'

To digress for a moment, for me a 'big fly' would be something on a #6 hook, small would be on a #10. Know fellows who toss flies the size of 'Dead Chickens' and I just don't get it. But those things do get a dour fishes attention. So 'Good on Them.'

Some waters just don't fish well, well they cast well, but that's going to be 'it' 90% of the time once full sun hits the water (think the fly only section of the North Umpqua). Go get breakfast then curl up with a fuzzy dog and get some extra 'Z's.' Back 90 minutes before sun down or direct sun off the water.

Just my .02 cents and worth exactly that.

fae
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM

I'll bring an assortment and hope for the best ( i promise no dead chickens) and living in Portland i am sure you will get your share of rain. Thanks again Fred for your amusing information.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I'll bring an assortment and hope for the best ( i promise no dead chickens) and living in Portland i am sure you will get your share of rain. Thanks again Fred for your amusing information.
Rain we need but short of 'shower's' nothing in the forecast.