The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 PM

caddy8581 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Boat for Fly Fishing

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked (I'm sure it has). What is the best boat for fly fishing. I am new to fly fishing, been doing it for about a year (been fishing since I could walk, im from Minnesota) and I am yet to catch anything with a fly rod. I live on Whidbey island WA and fish lakes and pretty much every lake requires a boat. I don't want to get a float tube so I am looking to either get a kayak or a pontoon. What are you experiences with them and what would you suggest for a beginner. Also I cannot spend a lot of money on anything, maybe 300. Thanks Guys. #Go Hawks!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 AM

cherokee509 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Boat for Fly Fishing

[IMG][/IMG]Well, Im fairly new to fly fishing and tying as well. And have some of the issues you are having. I recently bought a 9' pontoon Outcast on craigslist for 200. It was a steal so I couldnt pass it up. I have been using it on the small local lakes here in the ellensburg area catching only small, tiny fish! I have come to the realization that accessibility, although it is very important, if you arent using the right flies for the area, conditions, and season, you wont have much luck. Even if you are fishing out of a 5000 drift boat! lol I floated about 7 miles of the Yakima river yesterday morning for the first time. And although I had a great time, once again only caught a few 3-6" rainbows.

So if you are looking for a good deal on a pontoon boat I suggest craigslist. My Outcast (made by Orvis) is a great boat. I now have a trolling motor and mount on mine to minimize rowing in the lakes. Pontoon is the way to go in my opinion. Goodluck, keep ur eyes peeled and u will find the right boat. More importantly, read as much literature as possible on the sport and focus on the insects in the areas u fish, time of day to use what bugs, what stages of life will be most effective, ect.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by cherokee509; 06-16-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Cherokee said about keeping an eye peeled for pontoons on Craigslist and the Outcast seems to be a good entry level boat.

Here is some good sites to help learn more about fly fishing:
The Orvis Learning Center: How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

The Orvis podcast on fly fishing by Tom Rosenbauer, scroll through the list of archived shows to pick the ones on stillwater:
Fly Fishing Podcasts | Weekly Fly Fishing Podcast Tips | Orvis Fishing Podcasts | Fly Fishing Tips W

Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio, I think you have to sign up to listen to the archived shows. Scroll through the list, there are several on stillwater fly fishing:
Show Archive - Ask About Fly Fishing

I'd also recommend getting a copy of Denny Rickards book "Stillwater Presentation": www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fish Stillwaters

Also, try to find online hatch charts for the area you are fishing or talk to the folks at your local fly shop for ideas on patterns depending on the season.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I like using a canoe. It is light and quite, and easy to drag over beaver dams or other swampy obstacles.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 AM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

New to Flyfishing+ canoe= rough day on the lake
Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post
New to Flyfishing+ canoe= rough day on the lake
I understand what you mean. I usually fish small well sheltered ponds. Canoes would not be great for large open lakes or rivers, only small quite places where the wind is not a factor.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:22 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I just found this on another fishing forum

Ultraskiff - Home

Old 06-22-2014, 11:23 AM

saucebox11 is on a distinguished road

want to catch your first fish on a fly? find lake with northern pike, start casting, start reeling in pike. its really that easy at least it was for me and it is a lot of fun.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:54 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I own a Gheenoe & love it! It's not a big water craft, but in good weather conditions it could be. I primarily use it in tidal creeks & rivers, which it's ideal for fishing. Very stable craft & great for shallow water! Has a square stern & will take up to a 25 hp motor. Not too bad to paddle either, but certainly not as easily as some of the plastic yaks or canoes. It's fiberglass, so not something I would want in waters with lots of rocks & boulders!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 06-22-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I just found this on another fishing forum

Ultraskiff - Home

Now that round one is 'unique,' to say the least.