The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 09:44 AM

fishere is on a distinguished road
Default Deschutes float trips for steelhead near Bend

Meeting some old college friends in Bend in late September. Would like to arrange a two or three day float trip for steelhead. Experience level from novice to veteran. Especially curious to hear comments on jet boat vs traditional dory-style trips.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:44 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Deschutes float trips for steelhead near Bend

Steelhead are in the Deschutes below Pelton Dam near Warm Springs. The drive from Bend to Warm springs is about 90 minutes and another 45 to Maupin. Floats can be done from Warm springs to Maupin or From below Shearars Falls near Maupin to the mouth. There are many guides and flyshops that offer multiple day floats. There will be fish throughout the system by mid Sept. Jet sleds are only allowed in the lower river (on a schedule) They offer day trips and multiple day camp trips. There are several reputable flyfishing power boat guides as well. Both types of boats offer a great way to see and fish the river. Expect alot of company...
Old 03-07-2014, 01:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good info in the post above and here's another 'ya gotta.' BLM has a great map that covers the bottom (half?) of the river marked off in river miles, rapids, etc. Best yet they have dozens of improved camp sights along both sides of the river. If you're on foot take the road out of Maupin down the east side of the river ... miles and miles of easy access, camp sights, etc.,, are clearly marked. Many of them also have 'potties.' If memory serves, Mac's Canyon is as far as you can go by car/truck (save for the mouth of the river).

Hard copy of the map is about ten bucks but you can print same 'on line' for free.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi Fishere,

As far as booked trips go, I’ve done three day drifts on the Deschutes with groups of four to six anglers I’ve put together and loved every minute of it. Even the morning I put on my waders only to find that about forty earwigs had taken up residence in them overnight.

One thing I’d do however, is not just comparison shop the prices of the trips, but dig deep enough to uncover the level of service or inclusions each offers as standard fare. Some outfitters really put on the ritz while at the same or nearly the same price per angler, others seem to be on cruise control. Day one, it might not seem to be much of a deal, by day three, it can start to wear on some in the party.
See if they’re open to reference checks.

Drift vs. Jet.
I live along a major California river where both drift boats and jets are common and while we all get along and do our own things, I’m a drift boat guy to the bone.
To me, it’s the difference between archery and center-fire, between plug casting and fly casting. I can do many things, but when I have a clear choice, I opt for the quiet sports and the quiet approach to the natural world.

Have a great get together, TT
Old 03-07-2014, 02:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Boy 'O Boy is this ever the truth.

"One thing I’d do however, is not just comparison shop the prices of the trips, but dig deep enough to uncover the level of service or inclusions each offers as standard fare. Some outfitters really put on the ritz while at the same or nearly the same price per angler, others seem to be on cruise control. Day one, it might not seem to be much of a deal, by day three, it can start to wear on some in the party.
See if they’re open to reference checks."

One you don't have to worry about is Mark B (flyfishusa- a sponsor here); the 'ritz' all the way.
Hardyreels likes this.