The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road
Default Which river for bigger Chum salmon in Nov?

Looking for a reliable river in Nov to hook a few bigger (up to 20lb+) Chum while swinging with a Spey rod. Any recommendations would be appreciated. OP? Squamish? It will be a bonus if there are steelhead in the same river in Nov too...

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:44 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which river for bigger Chum salmon in Nov?

If you can get up into BC near Chilliwack (Not far from the central Washington border) The Vedder river can be dynamite as can the Harrison. Both tribs of the mighty Fraser. However, I think Nov. is a bit late

Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
If you can get up into BC near Chilliwack (Not far from the central Washington border) The Vedder river can be dynamite as can the Harrison. Both tribs of the mighty Fraser. However, I think Nov. is a bit late

That's a nice size Chum by any standard!

What would be the best time for them in that area?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I went in mid October. We did not get into any steelhead but we did catch all 5 pacific salmon species. In fact, my friend Mark caught all 5 from the same spot in two hours time on the Harrison.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I went in mid October. We did not get into any steelhead but we did catch all 5 pacific salmon species. In fact, my friend Mark caught all 5 from the same spot in two hours time on the Harrison.
Been there/done that on both the Vedder and Harrison. One of those 'shooting fish in a barrel' trips. Are we talking about the same trip in my motor home?

Fred
jbird likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Yep. You were within shouting distance of that last fish. The first two pics were from the Vedder where you didn't trek as far down as us.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yep. You were within shouting distance of that last fish. The first two pics were from the Vedder where you didn't trek as far down as us.
Heck of a great trip, four of us as I remember. You, Mark, Me and #4 is a mental blank. For context for the rest, we left Medford and drove north up I-5 getting to the Canadian Boarder a bit before mid-night and I was EXHAUSTED from driving. Think an accident looking for a place to happen.

Found a small RV park (US side) and pulled in and 'lights out for everyone' until about 0500 and off we go again. Hit the boarder .... four guys ... no booze (all the duty frees were long closed when we got to that part of Washington) and God did the Boarder Cops ever toss that motor home. Including the 'Toad' behind.

The found my 'stash' of Shreck movies and a couple of other vanilla DVD's. I'm sure they were really disappointed; this should have been a good score!

Parked the RV at a 'dry camp ground' (one water spigot and that was that) for the duration. (Fronting right on the bay/lake!) Glad all my 'tanks' were fully topped off and 'Gennie' was running like a clock for extra power and charge the house light Bat's. Didn't hurt to have two 75 foot hoses and a 'water thief' to attach and fill up the fresh water tank every day. Hot showers consume a lot of water, but God did they feel good. Propane was not an issue as I had 16 gallons in the main tank and a 7.5 bottle as a back up. Which was good as most MH have a very small hot water heater and it takes its sweet time to heat up cold water ....

Only one's there so would hook up the 'grey water' dump hose and run it off into the trees ..... not supposed to do that but there are choices to be made. And what the hell, save for a bit of soap its all just clean water.

Good times, Good times.

Fred

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

#2.

Everyone had a 'rotating job' while we were there. Cooks helper (me the cook, save for lunch sandwiches - no idea why - but I hate making those damned things). Two on dish washing detail, the other two playing cards or tieing flees.

Couple of fellows into 'town,' where ever that was, for extra supplies for the small BBQ, and no one ever actually hit a liqueur store. Think a six pack of Canadian Beer was as close as it got.
jbird likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the information. In terms of access to fishable waters, will I need a guide with boat to access those rivers or would road access be available most of the time? If a guide is required, would appreciate some recommendations for Spey fishing. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold

The Harrison, as I remember it, is a boat/guide deal. We used STS guide service if my memory serves. The Vedder was good public access. Theres a full service flyshop in Chilliwack that could supply you with any info.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 PM

jboy98 is on a distinguished road

Stave river is pretty good for chums it's pretty popular vedder is also pretty good
I'm a local down here so I fish the vedder and if you want non stop action come down next year for the pink salmon they run every odds year chums are also quite fun I do know a guy who also caught all 5 salmon species on the stave

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk