The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By jbird
  • 3 Post By blackbugger
  • 2 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default You can skip the idea of fly fishing on the Rogue for another week or so ...

Rain sets record; flooding is miminal | MailTribune.com
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM
mridenour

Default Re: You can skip the idea of fly fishing on the Rogue for another week or so ...

That's ok. I've had to skip a lot of ideas lately.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You can skip the idea of fly fishing on the Rogue for another week or so ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
That's ok. I've had to skip a lot of ideas lately.
I'll just bet you have!
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:09 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

That should usher in chrome
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
That should usher in chrome
Unfortunately, the last of the very last given the time of the year.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM

blackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to allblackbugger is a name known to all

The girlfriend and I arrived in Bandon yesterday. She's on spring break (teaches at Montana State).

We drove down along the Umpqua, it was huge. I looked at the flows last night and it had come up about 40,000 cfs in 24 hours. That's just crazy.

I've been out to the O.P. a couple of times so I watch the flows out there and I'm just amazed at how fast and how high they rise in the coastal rains.
The Queets will go from like 5,000 to 50-60,000 in a DAY!

I brought the two hander but don't know if I'll get a chance to fish.
I'd like to check out the Chetco or maybe the Elk but I'm expected to take a lot of long walks on the beach and eat a bunch of seafood.
mcnerney, rockthief and mridenour like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Unfortunately, the last of the very last given the time of the year.
Fred, has the removal of Gold Ray dam changed the run timing that much? Mid March used to be absolutely prime time. In fact I never wasted much time on the upper Rogue til March 1 and it went all the way thru mid April.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Fred, has the removal of Gold Ray dam changed the run timing that much? Mid March used to be absolutely prime time. In fact I never wasted much time on the upper Rogue til March 1 and it went all the way thru mid April.
Good question Jay, and no one really knows at this point. Only 'fish counter' was at Gold Ray and that's gone. So only other check point is the hatchery numbers and these would all be 'plants.' (I'd guess.) The one good point is another 15 miles of river have been opened up for spawning grounds; Mom Nature is now in control. And She can be a fickle Mistress .....

Hatchery phone number: 800 4722434. This gives the dam out flow and you can do the on line search for the flow guages down stream from there.

My best guess is it will take 4 or 5 generations (4 year cycle) to get the Nat's really back up and running (no bad pun intended). But the one good thing about this shot of high water is it will really clean up the silt that backed up behind the old dam site.

Fish/Redd's in the main stem may have issues due to the high flows but these are not 'one time events' and the fish tend to take care of themselves spawning in all the feeder streams that flow into the Rogue. Which is where most of them are at this point (good guess given the time of the year).

Only fish (I know of), in large numbers, that 'free spawn' in the main river are the Fall King Salmon. Amazing to watch these fellows/ladies 'do 'there' thing.' (Pun intended.) Once you find their historic spawning beds its amazing to watch these guys/gals, with little exception they come back to the same gravel patches.

Leave these things alone and wade VERY CAREFULLY! See a 'clean gravel' bottom .... DON'T GO THERE! Summer runs will stack up below chomping on free floating eggs.

Find these and fishing below can be a total hoot.
mridenour and jbird like this.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:47 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

the silt will be well distributed shortly

a dam was removed on the Calapooia and "experts" claimed it would be years for the silt to clear and that it would be a catastrophe downstream. The dam was removed in September and by summer next it was as though the dam and a hundred years of silt had never existed. Momma Nature knows exactly what she is doing. I believe we should listen to her more closely.

Paul
Old 03-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Thumbs up Re: You can skip the idea of fly fishing on the Rogue for another week or so ...

Hear you Paul; amazing how fast "Mom" can clean up our mess ....