The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:14 PM

gurvan is on a distinguished road
Default Holiday in June in the Northwest of USA

Hi,

I don't find a topic to present myself.
My name is Gurvan, I am french and 36 years old. My main hobby is the fly fishing for brown trout with dry fly. I currently work in Paris for a consulting firm that I leave at the end of May and I will begin my new job at the beginning of July.

I have a flight from 29/05 from Paris to Seattle and I came back in France on the 26/06.
I would like to get some information on the fly fishing in the NW of America.
My dream would be to fish in the YNP in June but it seems that snowmelt is not finished and the river not really fishable.

So, I plan to fish in washington and maybe oregon until 10 or 12/06 and after going to YNP.
Do you have some advice regarding rivers to fish at this time of the season according to snowmelt / what kind of fish (is there steelhead and salmon at this time ?) / some amazing place to fish ?

As you see, I have very little information for the moment and I try to understand how I need to plan / organize my trip during this month (I rent a car at Seattle) to catch and release big fish, see nice place and enjoying a lot....

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,
Gurvan
Old 04-26-2014, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Holiday in June in the Northwest of USA

Hello Gurvan,

There are so many good places to fish in the Montana - Wyoming - Idaho - Washington and Oregon area, you will have no trouble getting members here to help you. This sounds like a great trip.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2014, 07:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Holiday in June in the Northwest of USA

Add a bit to what Ard said, but Google the State fishing regulations. If I had to 'pick a place' SW Montana is a easy call for trout. For Steelhead/Salmon you're going to be down at the mouth of the rivers.

Fred
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 AM

atfarley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Holiday in June in the Northwest of USA

A really great place to fish is the Methow valley (area) in Northern WA. There are many great tributaries. Although they might be too high, there are also some lakes in the area that would be good this time of year. Google Earth Tonasket, WA and look for lakes in the area if the rivers are too high.

If you have waders there are sections of Baker lake, near Mt. Vernon where you can wade the shore and look for roaming fish.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default How's the water flows?

The link below has every river gauge in the United States. Pick a State, click on it and then click on a 'dot' and you'll get real time information. Many of these also have a 'turbidity' gauge so not only do you know the flow, you know the actual water conditions 'boots on the ground.'

USGS WaterWatch -- Streamflow conditions

A bit of advice I always pass along to folks who are visiting the Western US is its BIG, LIKE REALLY, REALLY BIG. In Eastern Washington, Idaho and Montana Petrol Stations can be few and far between. When your fuel gauge drops below 50% fill up the car. Travel time, even with Freeways, don't expect to do much more than 50 mph over the ground (fuel stops, 'pit stops,' something to eat, etc.). If the round trip is 300 miles expect it will take you at least 5 hours.

fae