The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smith River fishing...

Thinking the Smith River around Jedediah Smith State Park in Northern California sounds like a beautiful area to go check out next year around this same timeframe(Jan-Mar).

Can anyone tell me anything about the area?

Length of floats and access points?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smith River fishing...

"Bump"arooni!!!

The Steelhead running this river are freaking large!!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fyshstykr,

The Smith as I remember it was a beautiful Steelhead river. I use to drive up from Fresno back in the 50's. I don't remember much about the river and we fished from the shore. The Eel river would be overrun with fishermen but the Smith didn't get much pressure. I do remember big Steelhead and great river side dinners of fresh Steelhead.

Frank
Old 03-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Frank, Thanks for the response.

A couple days ago I was shown an article on the Giant Sequoia Trees in "JS- State Park" and seen a driftboat on the Smith River in one of the pics, I guess the river flows through the middle of the park.

I've decided that I really want to see these giant trees, and the river with those huge steelhead is another positive aspect for making the trip. It looks like Nov-Feb is a great time to go and it goes well with my work schedule that time of year.
I'm thinking I'm going to learn how to handle a spey rod.

Frank, have you or anyone else seen these giant trees before?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fyshstykr,

Yes, I have seen the Giant Sequoias many times. The tall trees in the North and the huge big around trees in Sequoia National Park. There are not many places in the California out doors that I have not been to.

Frank
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Frank,
I can only imagine these tree's as being nothing short of breathtaking, and the surrounding fauna so lush and green.

This article also mentioned the tree's that were harvested in and around the gold rush of the mid 1800's dwarfing the massive trees of today, Geez what a sight they must have been.