The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Alaska, Oregon and Washington. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By cherokee509
  • 1 Post By photoguy
  • 3 Post By mridenour
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 AM

cherokee509 is on a distinguished road
Default New member

Just joined this community, Im relatively new to fly tying, however i have been fly fishing for years acting like i knew what I was doing. The upside to that is that I am pretty accurate at casting but totally uneducated when it come to the important topics such as insect life cycles and what flies to use where and in what conditions. So, I live in ellensburg,wa and spend as much time as possible fishing the yakima river from cle elum to selah. Although I love evrything about fly fishn, and can tie up some quality bugs, I have never had much luck. Mainly just small trout (3-5"), bluegill (3-5"), and some small bass as well. I am hoping that spending some time here I can learn some of the fundamentals of the sport as well as refine the skills I already have.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New member

As one new guy to another, welcome!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Well, I can pretty much fill you in on all I know about insects:

I hate skeeters, chiggers, ticks, buffalo gnats, wasps, bumble bees and brown recluse spiders (technically spiders are not insects).

There are some bugs that trout like to eat. I usually Forrest Gump my way into finding something in my fly box that imitates those bugs pretty good.

That's about it for me. Welcome to the forum and don't worry, there are people on here that can provide a wealth of info. I mostly provide sarcasm and frustration.
mcnerney, fredaevans and ejsell like this.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New member

Add my warm welcome to the 'Asylum,' I'm kept in Ward Three .. or so I'm told. Doors locked so no way to confirm .....

Even though 98% of my fishing is oriented towards Salmon and Steelhead the 'how to's' of trout fishing are usually dead on transferable for my needs on the river.

Fred
mridenour likes this.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum! Spend some time browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions.
fredaevans likes this.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 AM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll join into the Welcome to the forum group also and say, ask any question and it will be answered here

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-23-2014, 08:04 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, I'm sure you will learn a lot here and I look forward to seeing pictures of those flies!